Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / allowed root penatration according to B31.1
- - By scrappywelds (***) Date 09-14-2009 23:38
3/16" to 1/2" material , <350 degrees F operating temp. I know outside reinforcement is 3/16" but I don't know the root reinforcement could someone please tell me? I would look it up myself if I had the code.
Parent - - By Richman (**) Date 09-15-2009 10:11
Check B31.3 Acceptance criteria on RT . Check the type of defect below "weld reinforcement and internal protrusion" you will see the acceptance criteria on your query if I'm not mistaken. Hope it will help you.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-15-2009 14:42
I would agree if he was working to B31.3, but in this case he is using B31.1. I don't have the most recent edition of B31.1, but if my recollection is correct there is no limit imposed provide water or steam can still get through, but even that isn't a "code" requirement.

The code does have a criteria for root concavity, but not convexity.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By scrappywelds (***) Date 09-15-2009 21:13
so there is no criteria for root pentration just suckback. Another question is other than WPS is there a limit to root gap?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-16-2009 02:06 Edited 09-16-2009 04:00
Are we talking about ASME Section IX and B31.1 or real world?

Keep in mind that the codes, ASME, AWS, etc., define the minimum requirements that have to be met. None of the codes prohibit doing things above and beyond the minimum requirements defined by the standard.

The details of the groove design are considered nonessential variables when working to ASME Section IX and the ASME construction codes with some exceptions. Most of the exceptions I am familiar with are for B31.X “pressure piping codes” where the use of a permanent backing ring is prohibited (high pressure per B31.3), the use of a socket fitting when the ratio of run pipe to branch diameter exceeds "X" and so on. The groove details are not going to influence the mechanical properties, i.e., yield strength, tensile strength, etc. assuming the filler metal/base metal combination is correct. Joint details will influence the ease of welding or another way to view it; the welder's skill will determine whether the joint is welded successfully or not.

I like to use the phrase "sound engineering judgment" on occasion and this is one of those occasions. ASME puts the responsibility for the selection of joint details squarely in the lap of the contractor responsible for the welding. Considering the liability for the work lies with the contractor doing the work, this makes some sense. You have to understand that ASME doesn't tell you how to build anything. There is no direction provided by ASME regarding the selection of the proper filler metal to be used to join different base metals, what is or isn’t a good joint detail (other than a few joints that are out-right prohibited), and so on. ASME's stance is that the contractor is responsible for all aspects of the design and construction and the individual tasked with the responsibility is qualified and versed in the subject matter. So, the individual tasked with drafting the WPS should be a "welding expert" in those matters and should know what joint details will result in acceptable welds. The reality is often times far different from what ASME expects.

This is where sound engineering judgment comes into play. An individual that has welding expertise should use sound engineering judgment when proposing a new WPS which is then qualified to demonstrate the resulting welds meet minimum code requirements. Sound engineering judgment comes into play when specifying the joint details as to what groove angle, root opening, root face, etc. will be successfully welded by a welder possessing sufficient skills. The minimum welder skills are verified by a demonstration (by the welder) that he/she can deposit a sound weld. If the employer/contractor/installer/erector feels it is prudent (cheap/inexpensive) to require the welder to pass a specific test as required by the code, all is well. If the employer/contractor/installer/erector recognizes there is a high degree of difficulty requiring above normal skills, additional welder qualification testing (above and beyond code required testing) can be required, again based on sound engineering judgment.

So, in a nut shell, the contractor can use nearly any joint design they feel is appropriate. They don’t have to demonstrate the particular detail is workable. Few WPSs written to meet ASME Section IX or an ASME construction code includes sketches of acceptable joint designs. Instead you see things like “all grooves and fillets” listed under “Joints”. In my humble opinion this is done because some people tasked with writing the WPSs don't actually know what a welder can and can’t weld easily, so they off load the responsibility onto the welder.  When things go badly it is all too easy to place the blame on poor welding skills when in fact the problem was insufficient direction was provided to the welder. 

How many times has the question of “How do I weld an integrally reinforced branch fitting” come up? That question should never be asked by the welder. That information should be included in the WPS or other work instruction.

“Do I have to weld the pipe to the inside diameter of the slip-on flange?” Again, that issue should be covered by the WPS.  A simple sketch can indicate the welding requirements and the weld sizes required.

Don’t sit back and say, “A good welder already knows that information.” Bull pucks! The welder usually isn’t aware of what construction code he’s working to. Each of the ASME’s construction codes has different requirements. It is the contractor’s responsibility to provide that information to the welder and the easiest means of doing so is with the WPS.

ASME isn’t my whipping boy, the same argument holds true for any of the welding standards and their accompanying WPSs. Some people writing WPSs for AWS are just as guilty of leaving out information regarding joint design and tolerances. I see entries like, “C-U2” along with a host of other joint designations. That information is only useful to the welder if he/she has a copy of D1.1 in their tool box. Most welders can’t even tell you the color of the cover, nor do I expect them to. The welder’s job is to weld; management’s job is to provide complete and proper direction/instructions.

Management has failed their responsibility when the welder has to ask, “How big is that weld supposed to be? What is the proper groove angle? What is the root opening for this? How much “pull-back” is required? ……….?”

OK, I done with my evening rant. I feel better now, thank you. It’s time to bait a hook or two. ;)

Best regards – Al 
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-16-2009 04:20
Now that's the Al I know!!! ;) ;) ;)

I couldn't have written it better myself Brother!!! ;)

Btw, if you catch one extra, could ya put it on Ice for me??? :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-15-2009 22:40
Don't have the 08 addenda, but the 07 B31.1 states the following:
Table 127.4.2 Reinforcement of Girth and Longitudinal Butt Welds
general notes
(b) For single welded butt joints, the reinforcement limits given above shall apply to the outside surface of the joint only.
(c) The thickness of weld reinforcement shall be based on the thickness of the thinner of the materials being joined.
(d) The weld reinforcement thicknesses shall be determined from the higher of the abutting surfaces involved.
(e) Weld reinforcement may be removed if so desired.

(C.5) Concavity on the root side of a single welded
circumferential butt weld is permitted when the
resulting thickness of the weld is at least equal to the
thickness of the thinner member of the two sections
being joined and the contour of the concavity is smooth
without sharp edges. The internal condition of the root
surface of a girth weld, which has been examined by
radiography, is acceptable only when there is a gradual
change in the density, as indicated in the radiograph.
If a girth weld is not designated to be examined by
radiography, a visual examination may be performed at
welds which are readily accessible.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 09-16-2009 13:31
To All,
Refer to ASME Section V, Article 2, T-222.2, first paragraph. It's not explicit, but how could you judge the existence or absence of a crack, if there is a big black spot in the middle of the root? I would say this constitutes masking and is rejectable, though there clearly isn't a specific dimensional limitation.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-16-2009 15:09
Jeff,

For Isotope radiography:
Paragraph(s) T282 cover that concern. No where in the area of interest can the density vary below 2.0 transmitted or above 4.0 transmitted.
The density limitations are also have to meet "minus 15% or plus 30% from the density through the body of the hole IQI or adjacent to the designated wire of a wire IQI, within the minimum/maximum allowable density rangesspecified in T-282.1, then an additional IQI shall be used for each exceptional area or areas and the radiograph retaken.

Therefore, if you meet the min max density, and the +- requirements, the 'big black spot' would be within the density range that the IQI's are indicating can be read.

Regards,
Gerald
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 09-16-2009 15:38
Gerald,
Thanks for the clarification. That would be the way to cover it.
I reviewed that as well, but decided the para I mentioned would cover it more simply. But given that my thinking was bassackwards (the indication being lighter not darker for excessive pen) my assessment was mistaken.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / allowed root penatration according to B31.1