Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / New To Welding
- - By wolfspider79 Date 09-15-2009 14:55
Good day all,

I'm very new to welding. I am 30 years old and have a family. I got out of the military last Dec and pretty much have been in the private security field now for 9 years. I cann't stand it anymore and I would like to totally change where I want to go in life. I have always found welding as a very insresting field. I live in Charlotte, NC I work full time right now for a private security company but I want to learn welding. I want to see about a apprenticeship but have not found anything in Charlotte. I have applied to the Apprentice School in Newport News. That question I have for the group is do you think I have a chance with the Apprentice School in Newport News, or do you think I'm wasting my time? Also if anyone can point me in the right direction I would be in debt to them. Thank you all for reading this post.

Jacob
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 09-16-2009 00:30
Jacob,
I don't really know anything about the Newport News apprentice school, so I can't help you there, but it appears Charlotte isn't that far from Rock Hill SC.   If you are interested, WEC (i.e Westinghouse) Welding and Machining group has a welding school called WEC Welding Institute.   You can check it out at:

http://www.wecweldinginstitute.com/career.htm
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-16-2009 02:37
Beautiful!

Jacob, if I were you I would take full advantage of this opportunity of a lifetime with this tip from GRoberts!!!
Westinghouse is one of the top companies in the world to work for, and this opportunity only comes along once in a lifetime, so go for it!!!

As a welding instructor with over fifteen years of teaching experience, you cannot have a better opportunity than this handed to you on silver platter as GRoberts just did!!!
Way to go GRoberts!!! Now I know why some of your posts are so interesting in the way they are written!!! :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By wolfspider79 Date 09-16-2009 16:34
Thank you all so much, I did apply there but ahve not hear anything from them in about a week. I hope I do soon. I want to start welding. Thank again.

Jacob
Parent - - By wolfspider79 Date 09-16-2009 19:59
Hi again all, thankyou so much for your help. I called the WEC Welding School in Rock Hill and they told me it's a 12 month + waiting list. So thats out for now.
Parent - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 09-17-2009 20:24
Central carolina Technical College in Sumter SC its 2.5 hrs from you and its for real they can even help you get in free. Call Jim shrift 803-778-7862 tell him Mark told you to call.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / New To Welding