Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Two WPS of same Material and same project
- - By waqassuleman Date 09-15-2009 21:47
I have one query regarding the submition of WPS to client.In the starting of project i submitted a WPS for SMAW and GTAW for our project job.
Now i hired some welder from other company,but their certificate is certified on different WPS no.
Can i submit two WPS for the same job?bcause our PID inspecter rejected them for the approval of JCC card.
Please give me some refernce of code so i can convince them that they are applicable for this job.

Regards,
Waqas
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 09-16-2009 05:26
Weldcome to the forum - stick around, participate and you will most likely have a good time here :)

You did not mention any code of construction, which makes it harder for people to help you.
Before answering your question, I would like to ask you a few questions;

- What is the design code/standard?
- Any specific client specs in regards to welding?
- What is a PID inspector? is it just a misspelling for a PED NoBo? Usually PID refer to a diagram which shows instruments and valves...
- What is a JCC card?

I will however make an attempt on answering your question- without knowing the facts, so use my answer with precaution.

The wps on a welders certificate has nothing to do with production welding. A welder gets certified by welding a test to a certain wps (any wps within range) if the welder pass the test, it shows that he is able to follow a wps and make a sound weld within the acceptance standard. You dont need to use the wps used for certification in production, no inspector can force you to do that - unless it's written in the spec.

Did you hire the new welder as a new employee or did you hire the company he works for as a subcontractor?
In case you hired him as a direct emplyee, your company needs to qualify him, as it is you who are responsible for his welds.

In theory you can use any wps when you qualify a welder as you are testing his abillity to follow the said wps.

You can submit as many (qualified) wps as you want, it often proves (atleast in my book) that you are serious about your welding.
I often see some wps' with a HUGE range of diameter/thickness and amperage, it might be within range of code, but a welder can only move his hand at a certain speed.

Whenever I make a procedure test I always advice the client to have multople wps' made, remember, a wps is meant to be a tool for the welder.

Parent - - By waqassuleman Date 09-16-2009 09:07
Thanks Inspector for sharing your information.
The WPS is based on ASME Sec IX for ASME 31.3
No special requirement from client.
PID means Project Inspection Department.

Actually i hired the welders from other basis for temporary.They are certified on their company WPS.
but i submitted my company WPS to the client for approval and client approved it.
Specs wise my submitted WPS and the hired welders WPS has no differnce except company name on the WPS and WPS document no.
but our client inspector refused to agree to submit the other WPS or to allow these welders to do welding on our approved WPS.

Now whats your comments

i am waiting for your comments and my other colleagues
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 09-17-2009 17:57
Why did he refuse to accept it?

Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-17-2009 20:14
I believe the PID is rejecting the welder's performance qualification because they were done while they were employees of their previous employer (contractor).

In general under the auspices of the ASME B&PV Code and Pressure Piping Codes, the employer has to qualify (by testing) each welders they employ. Previous welder qualification by a different employer (contractor) is not permitted.

Even though your WPS may be the same word for word, process for process, electrode for electrode, as their previous employer's WPSs, you still have to test the welders using your qualified WPS. Welder qualifications (certifications), like WPSs, are not transferrable from one contractor to another.

Best regards - Al  
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 09-18-2009 01:55
al nailed it.

it may seem redundant, but it's stipulated in both the D code and  ASME IX
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Two WPS of same Material and same project