Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Any websites?
- - By Nandesh Kumar (*) Date 09-16-2009 07:45
Hi,

I found this in a CSWIP3.2 exam question paper.

" An  SCWI visits a workshop where he finds a welder, welding something , has different dia and types electrodes mixed in his heated quiver. When asked, he says that he know which electorde is what purpose and job and he is using it accordingly. Now,  being an  SCWI, what should be the first step to take ? "

Can anyone please suggest me a site , where can I find such interseting inspection stuff (Questions and answers)?

I dont mind to appreciate the suggestions.

CWI4361
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 09-16-2009 08:32
www.aws.org
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 09-17-2009 04:26
Welcome back Hogan, Hope you was busy and nothing else that kept you away!
Carl
Parent - By ndeguy (*) Date 09-16-2009 09:46
Nandesh

You dont say if its your objective to sit the CSWIP 3.2. exam but the pre-exam course is mandatory and you would recieve all the information you need. Otherwise it is a case of gleaning information form numerous different sources. For such practical information talking regularly with welders and experienced weld inspectors would be desirable.

In the case of the question you read I would check what rod the welder was using at that time and pick up and keep all surrounding rod stubs and note their type and number. Call for the weld foreman to be present. Check that the welder has an approved WPS copy for that weld. Review it to ascertain if there is any doubt regards conformance to that document. If yes then ask the weld foreman to tell the welder to stop welding and pass the information on to the weld engineer for a verdict on how to proceed. If no, review the relevant procedure for a clause covering whether mixed rods are allowed in the quiver and ask the weld foreman to ensure conformance to those requirements. If consumbale control is a big issue in that shop, then perform frequent audits with the suggestion that they go to vacuum-packed with a procedure for the proper disposition of unused rods.

That would be my exam answer!
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 09-16-2009 17:22
Nandesh

Is this a multiple choice question, or an essay type question?

I doubt if you would find a lot of sample questions like this in AWS literature.  Most AWS Examination questions are multiple choice questions, and have a direct question format, even if they are "story-book" type questions. AWS exam questions usually have 1 correct answer and 4 distractor answers.

I hope this example you quoted is a practice question from some custom training organization.  I would hate to think that CSWIP exam questions are as bad as the one you presented here.

I cannot speak for the CSWIP exam questions.

Joe Kane
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 09-16-2009 18:43
Sorry to steal your topic but, what is the CSWIP3.2 exam?
Parent - - By ndeguy (*) Date 09-16-2009 19:34
CSWIP  = Certification Scheme for Weld Inspection Personnel administered by The Welding Institute, the UK equivalent of the AWS.

3.1. is Weld Inspector
3.2. is Senior Weld Inspector

Qualification by experience, mandatory 1 week course attendance and examination. Must hold 3.1. qualification to be abke to sit 3.2. exam.

CSWIP is recognised widely in UK, Europe, Middle East and Asia. Tranisitional arrangements between AWS/CSWIP exist for those planning on holding both certificates.
Parent - - By Nandesh Kumar (*) Date 09-17-2009 07:34
Thank you very much for the inputs gentlemen.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-17-2009 18:56
At best it is an impossible question to answer unless the question is tied to a contract document such as a welding standard, project specification, quality control manual, etc.

There is no clause in AWS D1.1 or any of the ASME construction code that would prohibit what was described in the question. The SCWI/CWI could not reject the practice based on personal opinion.

If the contractor has a quality control program that does include such prohibition, the SCWI/CWI would have cause to note the nonconformance, not to a code requirement, but to the contractor's QCP.

As Joe notes, all the AWS examinations use a multiple guess format to narrow the possible choice of answers.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By ndeguy (*) Date 09-17-2009 23:48
In another thread on this forum there was a storm rightly raised when a welder suggested using non-WPS stipulated 309L rods on carbon steel to avoid porosity. Most regular posters criticised him severely; they expressed the view that using the the wrong electrode means an unapproved WPS and could be detrimental to finished weld toughness or other mechanical properties.

The weld inspector is the QC representative for welding activities. If that individual has concerns that conformance to the approved WPS may have been compromised, especially if the rod in use or discarded stubs are not as per the WPS then it is his duty to investigate in a non-judgemental manner. If rods not required by the WPS are in the quiver then such may have been inadvertently used or may be used. In my opinion the WI should not ignore this possibility no matter what the welder says.

I am sure most forum members have come across poor consumable control - it is a real world situation that requires a real world response. The WI may not be able to witness deposition of every run, so in such cases sound objective judgement should be used to ensure conformance to the WPS through methodical "evidence-gathering" without overt signs of accusation.

My response was overlong as the question asked for "the 1st action". My revised response would be "My 1st action would be to gather evidence of which weld rods had been used". Again my opinion, written answer type questions can give an insight into the candidate's thought processes - OK, this is under exam conditions so not so much in the real world perhaps. Multi-choice might reveal this insight but in my opinion this is unlikely.

Finally, even if investigation reveals no sign of wrong electrode usage I would still ask the weld foreman to describe to me what safeguards are in place to prevent the welder from inadvertently taking the wrong rod from the quiver, available QC procedure or no.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-18-2009 04:53
While I don't disagree with you in general terms, there are limits to the inspector's authority.

There is a difference between the conduct of an in-house inspector and a third party inspector. In this post it is apparent to me that the inspector is a TPI. In that capacity, he doesn't usually have the authority to stop work or reject work unless there is evidence there is a code violation or the contractor isn't meeting the requirements of their QC manual (assuming they have one).

As you noted, this was a question on a quiz or home-study material. Most examinations use the multiple choice format which would narrow the options for a correct answer.

As for what rods are in the quiver, it could be as simple as E7018 and E7028, or it could be austenitic stainless steel and carbon steel. Who knows? There isn't sufficient information provided to respond in a meaningful way.

You do make some valid points and I would do many of the things you mention if it were on a job site. I've seen contractors place both stainless steel electrodes and carbon steel electrodes in the same 50# holding oven. It was a situation I had corrected very quickly because I had written into the project specifications that electrodes of different alloy type or classifications could not be stored in the same holding oven. I had something that existed in writing to refer to. 

Best regards - Al
Parent - By scrappywelds (***) Date 09-18-2009 21:19
I can tell you what happened to me by an inspector when I had some cut TIG wire ER-70s and some ER-90s in a stub bucket I used for a week. I had to cut out 3 welds, because I couldn't prove I didn't use the ER-70s wire in the ER-90s welds I had made that day. Lesson learned I clean out the stub bucket everyday now. My experience is some inspectors go up and beyond codes and specifications, whether it was right or wrong.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Any websites?