Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / yet another use for a Tig welder
- - By devo (***) Date 09-16-2009 12:07
As it usually goes, I was recently 90% done on a project and my grinder (4.5" hitachi) wasn't spinning like it normally does.  One of the brushes on the motor had failed.  The copper wire/brass disk connection had failed and you could see heat marks on the copper wire.  So I cut out a copper disk from some scrap, and carefully melted a blob of silicon bronze onto the center of the disk.  Then I let it cool, and then carefully got the blob molten and stabbed the copper wire into it and let off the pedal, freezing the wire in place.  I think I was running around 45 amps with a .040" tungsten.  The grinder works great, and the customer got their work, and I got paid.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 09-16-2009 17:24
Hello devo, necessity is the mother of invention. Sounds as if you applied this very well and got the job done to boot. Congrats! and best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-16-2009 23:19
yeah, I have to agree with Alan, nice work. The ol' brain really starts to spinning when your in a pinch, eyes get to wanderin' around looking for something....anything to use or give an idea on how you could fix the problem.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 09-23-2009 08:58
WTG    I love fixing or creating something outta almost nothing.   Pretty creative!

Although ....

Magyver could have done it with a broken magnifying glass, a paperclip and an old beercan.  You had the luxery of a TIG......dang spoiled kids these days. 

LOL
TOMMY
Parent - By vagabond (***) Date 09-24-2009 00:12
The sad reality is we've all worked for outfits out there where you have to do this stuff on a daily basis.  No plans, no tools, no problem!!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / yet another use for a Tig welder