Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / I can't see what's goi'n on!
- - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 04-12-2002 23:12
I just started experimenting with a small mig I bought. Just how the heck do you see the weld, weld pool, pieces to be welded or just about anything other than the very hot zone at the wire. Oh yeah, I can see that OK, just can't tell what it's creating. Could my glass be to strong?
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 04-12-2002 23:36
bzzz,
To determine the correct shade, the general rule is to start with a darker shade, and switch to a lighter shade if you can't see what you want. However, there are a couple of other things to consider here. You mentioned that you just got this mig welder. If you are using self-sheilding wire with this machine, it does produce a lot of smoke, and this can partially obscure your view of what is going on. Also, the extra thick smoke tends to form a film over your lens faster than other processes, so you will have to clean it off pretty often if you want to keep seeing your weld puddle.

I also think in general, wire welding processes (excluding subarc of course) are a little harder to see than stick welding. I am guessing this is because the arc from the electrode to the base metal is the brightest part of the weld, and it is out in the open with wire welding, while with stick welding, the arc is partially hidden by the flux/rod. Its kind of like driving at night. It is easier to see what is beyond the next car when their headlights are on dim instead of bright.

G Roberts
Parent - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 04-13-2002 01:18
I agree w/ roberts...MIG seems to make a smaller arc, and it's harder to see. I have my automatic helmet set on shade 12 for stick welding, and I put it on shade 10 for MIG welding on thin steel. for MIG on thicker steel, say 1/4" or 3/8", I might use shade 11. I don't suggest you use these exact shades, because everybody's eyes are different. just keep in mind that you might have to go a shade or two lower than what you have now.
Parent - By Seldom (**) Date 04-13-2002 12:35
For the mig setup you're using, I'd suggest trying a #9 lens. There's also the "old rule of thumb" that has merit and has to do with the focusing ability of your eyes. If you have to blink more then once immediately after raising your hood, your shade of lens is either too dark or too light for your eyes!
Try it and see if this doesn't work.
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 04-14-2002 06:58
22mar01 5oct01 and15mar02 have other threads on this subject. I just got one of those gold colored filters. Seems to pass more red less blue light. That in turn seems to subdue the arc a little and let the surrounding area show a little better. My subjective opinion is I can see better.

Regards

Bill
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / I can't see what's goi'n on!