Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Does AWS D1.1 required for Certifying Agency to certify WPS?
- - By Lyms Date 09-19-2009 13:05
Dear you all,

I am a new guy in this forum, when joining this forum and found some topics in D1 Questions I am very interested about it. We now having one question that make us fighting for such a long time but it is not finalized.
Our subcontractor have submitted some WPS that were prepared according to AWS D1.1, during the review, my colleagues requests the WPS to be approved by Certifying Agency, but in my mind, I beleive that the AWS D1.1 does not required for WPS to be approved by CA, in the code have mentioned that the Manufacturer shall be responsible for WPS that belonging to that Manufacturer, so could any body help me on it?
Best regards,
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 09-19-2009 19:13 Edited 09-19-2009 19:15
D1.1 has two types of WPS, it discuses, there are actually 3 types I think recognized in AWS, Prequalified as described in AWS D1.1 Clause 3, Those you Qualify according to AWS D1.1 Clause 4, and AWS also has SWPS's Standard Weld Procedure Specification that you can purchase. Basically to me your colleagues are requesting for the subcontractor to submit documentation of an inspection firms certification that the WPS submitted is done properly. Which WPS is required does it need a PQR attached if so the PQR could be investigated for testing that was required to qualify.
Really need more info, do you suspect they are not to code D1.1?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-20-2009 03:57
AWS D1.1 and ASME allow the contractor to develop their own WPSs in-house without being witnessed or approved by anyone. In some cases the WPS may be prequalified (permitted by AWS D1.1 if certain conditions are met), or they can be qualified by testing, or they can be purchased from AWS as Standard WPSs (if approved by the Engineer/Owner for AWS D1.1 work or if they are listed by ASME Section IX).

Many companies utilize the services of a testing laboratory to handle the preparation and testing of the bend tests and tensile tests if the WPS is qualified by testing. Some do all the testing in-house, including the tensile tests if they have the proper equipment. Some companies hire a consultant to help them through the process because they are not comfortable with all the requirements of the different codes, but it is not a requirement that a third party witness or approve the welding documentation unless it is so stated in the project specification.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 09-22-2009 16:03
It is not required.
And if you are going to ask for this, be prepared to pay for it. You shouldn't try to get something for nothing.
Parent - By Lyms Date 09-29-2009 04:46
Dear all,
I would like to say thank you all very very much for your kind teaching, it is very clear now.
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 10-04-2009 20:33
Lyms

The contract documents or the Engineer may require that the WPSs be approved.  Some jurisdictions require that the WPSs be reviewed and approved by the owner / or the Engineer, and it doesn't even have to be in the contract documents, because it is law.

I do not see enough information in your post to give you a better answer.  The other answers you have received here are also possibly correct, based on the assumptions made when the individual read your post.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Does AWS D1.1 required for Certifying Agency to certify WPS?