Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / OSHA Help
- - By WTHaynes3 Date 04-13-2002 15:58
I am fighting with oSHA on the required protective equipment for a welder's helper. Does anyone have some experience with winning a battle to keep employees that work around a welding area out of a welding helmet?

Thanks
Bill
Parent - By alenjackson2 Date 03-10-2005 03:01
hi bill!

OSHA code of regulation title 29,chapter XVII subpart (I) part 1910.133 eye and face protective equipment is required by OSHA where there is a reasonable probability of proventing injury when such equipment is used. these stipulations also apply to supervisors and management personnel, and should apply to visitors while they are in hazardous areas.
Suitable eye portectors must be provided where there is a potential for injury to the eyes or face from flying particles,molten metal,liquid chemicals,acids or caustic liquids,chemicals gases or vapors,(potentially injurious light radiation) or a combination of these.

Part 1910.252 eye protection helmets or hand shields shall be used during all arc welding or arc cutting operations,excluding submerged arc welding. (Helpers or attendants shall be provided with proper eye protection). Helmets and hand shields shall be made of a material which is an insulator for heat and electricity. Helmets, shields and goggles shall not be readily flammable and shall be capable of withstanding sterilization. Helmets and hand shields shall be arranged to protect the face,neck and ears from direct radiant energy from the arc.

I'm sorry! but u have to look out for your employees saftey!
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 03-10-2005 13:36
Winning may depend on how your work stations are set up. Is this a wide open shop? Here we have as many as 16 welders in the same bay(39 in all). Some may be welding while others are doing other duties, but they are all in the same bay together. We provide portable welding curtains that the welders can place between them and the work station next to them if the welding bothering someone. All of our tables are equipted with two employees, a welder and a fitter. The fitter will also weld, so there are times that both guys are in close proximity of each other and the curtain would then be place between them. If your shop is set up similar and you have curtains sitting around the shop that are available for use, I would say you have no problem, unless the employees were not using them. It is your duty to enforce rules making them use the curtains when necessary. Vistors have signs posted at all entrances to the shop stating not to look at the light from the arc. So, it's up to them to use their hand if necessary to breifly shield their eyes as they pass a welder in action. I've been through several audits and only challenged one time and I had a guy that was cutting with the O/A torch and only had his clear safety glasses on rather than the #3 shade glasses he was provided(and normally uses). I had to post a Memo to show that I had informed all employees that is was a requirement and not an option. They then reduced it after they saw we corrected the situation.
(ie. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/jwright650/welding%20pictures/Dsc00006.jpg) Note that the welders are welding on the same end of the column right next to each other(can't see one of the guys nearest to the camera) and there is a curtain standing between them.

EDIT: (the template board you see in the picture was added, usually the red curtain is enough protection to satisfy the auditors)
Parent - By mksqc (**) Date 03-10-2005 21:01
We got away with issuing #2 shaded safty glasses in our shop.after osha wanted us to install safty curtains
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / OSHA Help