Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Well, boys, my Hope has Changed...
- - By rick harnish (***) Date 09-21-2009 21:42
Was hoping to get my rig back to work. After todays lay off news, Im just hoping to go to work.
Kinda knew it was coming. Job was coming to a end, and the next job is all copper.
But who the crap lays off on a Monday??? Aint right.
Job prospects aint too bad here in SA, but wish me some luck none the less!
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-21-2009 22:28
Rick,

Sorry about your bad news.  Praying things turn around soon for you and many others.  Ours is very slow, but it's still there.  The whole world, especially this country, needs all the prayer support and creative imaginations ignited into good old fashioned care and concern for our fellow countrymen to get the jobs flowing.  When ever possible, hire someone who could use a boost.  Wish I had some work available.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 09-22-2009 03:00
I agree. Lay off on Monday is messed up. I had one of those and it cost me tens of thousands of dollars. I was suppose to be on a job at home with my rig on Monday but wasn't ROF'ed  until Monday (didn't work Sunday either) I was in Michigan and thought i was gonna get laid off Sat. nite and then fly home. I was not a happy camper when I got my Monday lay off. When I got to the jobsite that Wed. they already had two welders.

We bid a school last Friday that had 70 GC's bidding on it. Two years ago there would be 10. Too little work for the masses.

Hope you find something soon. Good luck.
Parent - - By rick harnish (***) Date 09-22-2009 05:06
Thanks Brent. Thanks swsweld.
Like you are saying, their timing just sucks! Turned down a small gig that could have opened things back up just a few days ago. Didnt want to lose the steady check. Now here I am.
Cant cry, though. Just a big day of job searching ahead of me tomorrow!
Its has no place to go but up from here!
Parent - - By rick harnish (***) Date 09-24-2009 02:16
Worked ten today! Thanks for the support, particularly the IMs!!!
Parent - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 09-24-2009 02:32
just keep trying. im getting tired of these 3 weekers that turn into 1 week. yes it was 3 weeks not its down to, maybe be done thi saturday. but i lucked up and get to go to ohio for 2-4 weeks. but i did miss a laybarge test this morning cause i told someone im gonna go hit this ta with them, and now I think hes backing out. SCREWED ME GOOD!
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 09-26-2009 11:56
That's why work for me is on my own. Everyday is a search, no layoff's anymore, just uncertainty....at least I know what's going on the next day!! LoL!! Hope you can scratch something up Rick, I know for one thing it ain't easy but with your experience I'd say you'll have better chances than I do! Good Luck!
Parent - - By rick harnish (***) Date 09-28-2009 02:42
Thanks Shawn!
Been working, but always looking! Use to be so easy!
Parent - - By rick harnish (***) Date 09-29-2009 00:20
Dang it!! Finished up what they needed and got layed off AGAIN on MONDAY!!! Did all the pain in the butt mirror welds, then "Thank you, we will call when we have something else".
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 09-29-2009 02:37 Edited 09-29-2009 02:59
Rick,
maybe you should lay out on Mondays, from now on. I'm just saying.
Parent - By ibeweldingsum (***) Date 09-29-2009 03:52
LMAO that there's funny I don't care who ya are!
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 10-01-2009 03:37
Rick,
I apologize for the "lay out on Monday" post.
I of course meant it to be funny but in this economy no layoff is funny. I did shut downs for 14 years and lay offs were just part of the deal but often very stressful when there was nothing definite lined up.
I hope you find something soon.
Parent - - By rick harnish (***) Date 10-01-2009 04:41
No apology necessary!!! That post was probably the hilight of my day!! :)
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-01-2009 22:44
darn was it one of those "3 weekers that turned into a 1 weeker" as Tyler said? The job I'm on now was supposed to be a month and a half or two months maybe longer. We got all the three inch run from the mechanical room upstairs without the pipefitter....oh wait, that's me I guess, without the pay. Anyhow, done this in two weeks and now wondering when we'll be getting laid off. Don't have our pumps yet, don't have the hole dug to tap into the cold water supply so we can run the 4 inch into the mech. room and tie in the pumps we don't have to everything else.

Hopefully you'll land some more work Rick, maybe some more mirror welding. I know you can get all of that you want in the shipyards! LoL!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Well, boys, my Hope has Changed...