Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / RODS
- - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 09-22-2009 02:43
Does anyone out here still use the 5p 6010 rods? I am on a job who is using them to bead with. I personally think these rods is like tryubg to weld with butter. Can anyone gove me some tips? O an i dont have some one to run my reostat for me. Not one helper on the job and only 2 fitters im the only welder. Thanks for the help.
Parent - - By rick harnish (***) Date 09-22-2009 05:27
The red rod? Plain ol 5p?
They are in good shape? Aint been wet?
Parent - - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 09-22-2009 13:53
yeah just a plain 5p. havent been wet. and its a uphill job so.
Parent - - By swsweld (****) Date 09-22-2009 18:10
The short version is to get a keyhole and keep it. You can run the root using the "whipping" method i.e. pull rod slightly out of the puddle and pause to allow the molten metal to solidify, then bring rod back to the puddle and pause, sort of like stacking dimes. This allows you to control the puddle but is slow compared to downhill. It is important to bury the rod inside the pipe at the bottom to get penetration. Whip the rod up/out slightly then back to the bead in a vertical and upward progression. The top half will not require the rod to be buried as much...gravity.

You can root it without whipping, just get the keyhole and maintain it. If the keyhole gets too large you may need to start whipping it or reduce amps. If it gets too small (the keyhole that is) you may need to bring the angle of the rod to 90 degrees with the pipe or increase the amps. It's all about the keyhole.

I prefer 5P+ the restarts are much better.

Hope that wasn't too confusing.
Parent - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 09-23-2009 01:57
no not at all. but screw it. im the only welder on the job, and HATE it. so im prolly just gonna go downhill for bead hot and a fill and 7018 cap it. but thanks for the help.
Parent - - By CBlank1186 (*) Date 09-23-2009 01:56
tyler suck it up you can weld it. the best way i have come up with putting the bead in uphill is keyhole if you can because you can see the walls break down good. if you can't weld it avery said she will grab her hood and you can hold her noopie while she shows her uncle tyler how to do it. lol.....

love your big brother
Parent - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 09-23-2009 02:00
LMAO yeah, well im pick her up in the morning! and hell shes driving there too! im getting sick, think i might have the flu or something.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / RODS