Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / "Correcting" beam length
- - By apodesta (*) Date 09-22-2009 18:49
Here is a situation, how would you respond...

Beam cut too short, and bolt holes are too close the the edge (per AISC Spec for Structural Steel Buildings and approved drawings)
Fabricator wants to "add weld metal to the edge of the web, effectively (nor not so effectively) increasing the hole center to edge distance of the part...
No WPS for such a "repair"...
Work should  be in accordance with D1.1

Anyone ever come across this situation?

Thanks in advance!
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-22-2009 18:59
Sounds like it needs about a foot spliced on, UT'd and then recut to the correct length. I don't think buttering is the correct way to repair that situation. How much have they encroached upon the edge distance? The EOR can make the call to accept or reject if it isn't way out of whack...
Parent - - By apodesta (*) Date 09-22-2009 19:42
Toward the top flange they have encroached approximately 1/2" (way too much to butter)...
Toward the bottom flange approximatley 1/8"
I don't believe "buttering" is the best (most sound) means of correction...
i agree that splicing a length to the end per D1.1, filling the holes and testing them per 5.26 would be the most "bulletproof" repair...
Thanks for the feedback...
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-24-2009 02:39 Edited 09-26-2009 05:27
Many engineers will not approve the splicing of members intended to be one piece members. That would rule out cutting the member, adding a foot as suggested, and then trimming to the proper length. Other engineers would look at the proposed "fix" as reasonable if the member is a secondary member subjected to static loads.

Another possible fix is to weld the connection in the field, i.e., detail the connection with two fit-up bolts and weld the clip angle to the web in the field. If the connection calls for a knife connection (bolts in double shear), weld both clip angles to the beam web (in the field). The problem of edge distance is moot and the welding requirements are reduced to simple fillet welds. The connection is still a "simple frame connection". The two erection bolts would allow the erector to plumb the structure before completing the field welds.

It might be difficult to obtain the engineer's approval for any shop repair (to the beam) if the beam is a primary member subject to cyclic loads. The field welded fillet welds would not compromise the connection and would not require CJP groove welds or ultrasonic examination. 

The Engineer, not the fabricator, would have the last word with regards to accepting a repair or demanding a replacement beam.

Sorry some of the lines in the sketch didn't reproduce. Don't know why. This was a field fix I came up with for a client. I wasn't the TPI, in this case the erector asked me for a proposal so he could correct the problem in the field. I gave him this sketch which he presented to the Engineer. The proposal was accepted and the fix completed in the field with minimal interruption to erection. 

Best regards - Al 

Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / "Correcting" beam length