Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / What to put in "Progression" field on WPQR
- - By Hojo (*) Date 09-22-2009 19:07
If a welder qualifies in the Horizontal position is it correct or Ok to put Horizontal in the progression field on his qualification record? I am looking at some records that have it called out this way but I thought that progression would usually be only filled in for vertical welding. I suppose it is not wrong but it sure does not give any information to anyone as the position (2G) is already specified on the form.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 09-22-2009 19:22
Hojo,
   It could be called out that way but N/A or not applicable is more commonly used.

jrw159
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-22-2009 19:22
I guess you could put horizontal in that blank  or N/A... or leave it blank..

I can't think of a reason to fill the progression block with anything but N/A unless running upward or downward progression.

You could delete the progression line altogether as well...

What ever makes your doccument cleaner and less confusing.

Some folks make WPQRS that are custom to each test just for the sake of a doccument that is less confusing.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 09-22-2009 19:26
What about "Alternate each pass" in multiple pass welds on thicker material?

jrw159
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 09-22-2009 20:22
"Important" documents should not have blank fields.

Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-24-2009 03:09 Edited 09-24-2009 06:29
Progression usually refers to vertical progression; either vertical uphill progression (vertical upward) or vertical downhill progression (vertical downward). However, progression can also be used to indicate whether an electrode lead or lag angle is employed for the other welding positions, in which case the welder is using either forehand progression or backhand progression.

A welder welding with E7024 (Jet rod) drags the rod along the joint. That is an example of “backhand progression”. The electrode or torch points in the direction from which the welder came.

A welder performing manual GTAW points the torch in the direction of travel, i.e., it is directed in the direction of travel. That is an example of forehand progression.

When the welder is welding vertical uphill and the electrode points slightly upward, the forehand technique or progression is being employed. If the welder is using vertical downhill progression and the electrode still points slightly upward, i.e., the welder is dragging the electrode downward, the backhand technique or progression is being used. However, vertical being a “special” case, we typically do not use the terms forehand or backhand progression, instead we say uphill or downhill progression is being used.

"Left to right" or "right to left" or "alternate directions" is not what should be entered in the space for progression.

Best regards – Al
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 09-24-2009 06:09
Just started to say exactly the same Al, before reading your post.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-24-2009 06:30
I take that as a strong indication I'm on the right track.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 09-24-2009 12:47
However, if progression is used to indicate anything other than a verticle orientation it isn't a Section IX variable.
Parent - - By Ke1thk (**) Date 09-24-2009 15:00
What about "push" or "pull."  I seem to recall being rejected for including "pull" in the progression area.  The customer insisted that we always "push" our GMAW torches.

Good Luck,

Keith
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 09-24-2009 15:45
A customer can require that technique if they wish, but it isn't an ASME Section IX variable.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / What to put in "Progression" field on WPQR