Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Somebody school me In Mobile/Engine driven rigs
- - By GixxerRider Date 09-22-2009 19:35
I'm in my second year of college as a welding major and I got this bright idea I'm going to convert a truck into a mobile rig. I have no knowledge of engine driven rigs so talk to me like I'm stupid. What I'm looking for is to do light to medium industrial work. I want SMAW and GTAW and be able to weld steel, stainless and aluminum. To me I've always felt Lincoln machines have run the best. I also want to be able to run power tools and what not. The closest shop from campus is about 45 minutes so I want to gain a little knowledge before I head down there.
Parent - By RonG (****) Date 09-22-2009 20:16 Edited 09-22-2009 20:20
If you truely want to learn something. Try searching through some of the volumes of information already stored with in these walls. Is that stupid enough for you?

I do not mean that to be a smart A$$. I would guestemate there is more information store on this Forum that you can digest in a couple years and if you want it, it's there for the takeing.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-22-2009 20:46
Gix,  Ron is right.  This site is loaded with info such as you seek.  Use the 'Search' function and just start entering key words in. 

While we're here though, there are as many answers as there are welders on this forum.  Lincoln is a good choice for everything you mention.  You may want to get and go through a equipment sales book from Lincoln or check them out on the web.  Also, check through some posts here on truck pictures. 

Gotta go, customers needing attention.  Always a good sign.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 09-23-2009 02:12
Before You start looking at machines, decide if You need AC tig or not. If You need AC welding output You have fewer machines to choose from. Keep an eye out on Craigs list and eBay for used machines. Since You dont need one "right now" You might find a good used machine for a lot less than a new one.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Somebody school me In Mobile/Engine driven rigs