Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Pinping, pipe, tube and tubing
- - By DAYANARA (**) Date 09-22-2009 21:00
Dear All

What's diferent either piping vs pipe and tube vs tubing.

Thank you for your aswer
Dayanara
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 09-23-2009 02:53
Tubing is tubular and pipe is pipular
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 10-14-2009 18:14
I dont know how I missed this one ;)

To the best of my undstanding "pipe" is a simple piece of pipe, "piping" is several pieces of pipe welded together as a "piping system"
Same goes for tube and tubing.

Parent - - By fbrieden (***) Date 10-14-2009 18:23
If the O.D. is smaller than the I.D., then the pipe is inside out!
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 10-14-2009 20:59
In the English language, pipe and tube are singular nouns. Tubing and piping are plural nouns.

To further elaborate,

Pipe is manufactured in Standard sizes defined by its Nominal size. For instance, 2" nominal pipe is 2.375" O.D., 4" nominal pipe is 4.50" O.D. The thickness is rated in what is known as schedules, which adds wall thickness to the I.D. Threading dies (and various fittings) will always fit the O.D. no matter what the wall thickness may be. This is beneficial in many applications. For instance, a sch. 80, 90 degree elbow or "T" could be installed on a sch. 40 piping system for errosion purposes and thereby reduce weight and cost.

Tubing can be purchased and or custom ordered in any size by O.D, I.D., and or specified wall thickness.

BTW,  pipular is not a bonafide word...my poor stab at humor.
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 10-14-2009 21:11
And then there are "hollow structural sections", which look like pipe but apparently aren't.

Hg
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 10-14-2009 21:23
Do HSS fall under the definition of tubing? Or is it a matter of slang refering to "square tube"?
Maybe a new topic is in order here.
Parent - By HgTX (***) Date 10-14-2009 21:25
Dunno, but HSS also comes in round, I believe.

Hg
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-15-2009 00:07 Edited 10-15-2009 15:30
A piping system is when a collection of the products/ assemblies from "Spool" or isometric drawings are connected together by either welding them, and/or some of these spools are connected together via flanges that may have various types of gasket materials which cause a seal when tightened together to prescribed torques, and sometimes there are various types of fittings, valves, pumps, bellows, catch drains, sight glasses, and/or or other instruments that are connected in between these piping spools which when connected all together are sometimes called "runs' by some in the know also... Some of these spools also may have branched fittings welded, and then connected further off the run via flanges too...

When all of these runs are connected together, and flow together in either an open or closed loop, then you have what is known as a "piping system."

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 10-14-2009 20:49
Is this a trick question?????
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 10-15-2009 05:11 Edited 10-15-2009 05:14
Everything in these forums are trick questions.
Just like shooting pool, they are all tough shots.

Round HSS...That's "O" Beam, right?
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 10-15-2009 05:16
If I may quote Al Pacino (I cant remember the title of the movie)
"Nothing is what it seems"

Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 10-15-2009 12:27
De ja vu!

We have had this discussion before.

Suffice to say when some one refers to "Pipe" they usually are referring to a system for conveyance of liquid, slurry, gas or even information.

Tubeing can be referenced in the same manner, the difference being in the way the 2 are measured, as mentioned already.

Somehow I do not believe this was what the original poster of this question was asking?
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 10-15-2009 17:44
If I may add some confusion, with regard to structural applications, “HSS” (Hollow Structural Sections) is the correct designation for structural tubing, rather than “TS” (tube shape). In 1990, the industry adopted the term HSS to keep in step with producers around the world. In 1997, the Steel Tube Institute and AISC officially implemented this change with the publication of the Specification for the Design of Steel Hollow Structural Sections and the corresponding AISC/STI/AISI HSS Connections Manual.  HSS are also available in round, square, or rectangular shapes. Round shapes are specified using decimal numbers and three decimal points. For example, HSS 5.563 × 0.258 indicates a round HSS with an outside diameter of 5.563” and a wall thickness of 0.258”. Rectangular and square shapes are similarly specified but in terms of rational numbers. For example, HSS 5 × 4 × 3/8 indicates a rectangular HSS with a depth of 5”, a width of 4”, and a wall thickness of 3/8”.

For rectangular, square, and round,HSS, the most common material specification is ASTM A500 Grade B (46 ksi yield and 58 ksi tensile).  Although HSS rounds are sometimes used in structural applications, most of the pipe used in structural applications is ASTM A53 Grade B (35 ksi yield and 60 ksi tensile).  ASTM A53 is produced in Schedule 40 (standard, Schedule 80 (extra strong), and Schedule 120 (double extra strong).  A53 pipes are specified using a nominal inside diameter.  For example, a 4” Schedule 40 (standard pipe) is 4.03” inside diameter, 4.50 outside diameter, with a nominal wall thickness of 0.237”.  A 4” Schedule 80 (extra strong pipe) is 3.83” inside diameter, 4.50 outside diameter, with a nominal wall thickness of 0.337”.  A 4” Schedule 120 (double extra strong pipe) is 3.15” inside diameter, 4.50 outside diameter, with a nominal wall thickness of 0.674”. 
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 10-15-2009 17:49
YEA! What he said! :-)
Parent - - By Steve.E (**) Date 10-17-2009 05:14
Still confused ... Whats Pinping ?  :)
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 10-17-2009 07:56
I think he meant pingpong or maybe even thin-thong :)

Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Pinping, pipe, tube and tubing