Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Historic Family Pictures (Image intensive)
- - By Mat (***) Date 09-23-2009 07:04
From the late 18th/early 19th century.  It isn't welding related, but I found it interesting.  These are from my mom's side.  Hopefully the number of images don't blow up my photobucket account or the AWS!  :)

Regardless, it's like looking into another world.

Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 09-23-2009 07:21
Hello Mat, those are awesome, thanks for including them here. My aunt died last Christmas and I was able to take a look at the family tree from both her side of the family and my uncle's side. The tree extends back to 400 AD. It was very sobering to be able to consider the span of time that all of the entries comprised. You are very fortunate to be able to have a visual history of your family. Mine was comprised of names and dates, but none the less I was humbled with all of the information. Cherish the prize that you have access to and share it readily with all of your family. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-23-2009 13:59
I agree with Allan, very cool to have pics and such of your family.

It's funny as a kid I looked at some of the pics that my grandmother had dating way back and none of that was of any interest to me then, but now, I find it fascinating to look back over those old pictures...now I wish that I had paid more attention and remember the names and how those folks were related to me, when she was telling me about them...she's gone now and nobody in my family knows who any of these people are when I point to some of the pictures. My grandfather and grandmother are missed more than ever when I look back and wonder who all these people are in those pictures. I wish that as a kid I had written down all of the stories and things my grandparents have spoken about over the years. These are things that as a kid you really take for granted, when they really should be cherished and preserved. Like Allan stated...cherish the prize and share them with your family.
Parent - - By drewp29 (**) Date 09-24-2009 22:04
400A.D.?!!!!!! Wow, that's some serious record keeping Allan! We can trace my dad's side back to the 1600s, but a lot gets lost in the details with the Sicilians being mixed with dang near every other country around them at one time or another. Every Sicilian in my town is pretty much guaranteed to be related as we are all from one or two villages. My mom's side we have trouble getting further back than the early 1700s because Irish records weren't the best at the time.

I can't imagine being able to trace all the way back to 400 A.D.! Wow! Those pictures above are priceless by the way, thanks for sharing!

Kind regards,

Drew
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 09-24-2009 23:24
Hello Drew, my family is from Danmark(yes that's they way they spell it) and my aunt took it upon herself at some point to either personally research this or had the right connections within her and my family to find the records(she was other than an Evald, my uncle was the Evald). My middle name is Rostgaard and I am told that that family name ended with a part of our family line due to a lack of male heirs to carry it on. It really is interesting to have your personal history to consider and ponder as everyone has uniqueness and intrique associated with it. I am first generation American, so I am a part of my family's line originating and perpetuating here. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By darren (***) Date 09-25-2009 09:34
you forgot a current pic of you without the tinfoil hat. some of those ancestors sure do have the same features as you.
Parent - By Mat (***) Date 09-28-2009 07:01 Edited 09-28-2009 07:08
I got the dates wrong, late 1800's, early 1900's!

It's funny you should mention the features, because when I first flipped through the album I noticed that quite a few of them shared similar features as many of my cousins on that side of the family.

Forget the tinfoil hat picture, I should post my logbook picture...it's even worse!
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Historic Family Pictures (Image intensive)