Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Is a new PQR/WPS needed?
- - By Signeyed Date 09-24-2009 11:32
The shop where I am inspecting has a WPS for welding A 487 Gr 4 to A36.  The procedure is intended for a PJP groove weld.  The welders are currently clading the cast material using the specification's perameters, then when welding the joint they use a lower pre heat.  The shop had made a mock up using this "alternate procedure" but it is unknown what tests (if any) were done, as the quality manager is out of town.  The company has a design/engineering dept. and is taking the stand of past performance of the joint never having a failure.

My question is does 6.8 apply here or does this alternate procedure need to be qualified?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-27-2009 17:48
Based on the limited information provided, I would think the procedure would need to be requalified using the current technique used by production if those new parameters fall outside the ranges qualified by the original tests.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Signeyed Date 09-28-2009 18:53
Thanks, I figured that no harm could come from testing the current procedure and having that on file.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Is a new PQR/WPS needed?