Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Fusing Stainless Steel Thin-Gauge Tubing
- - By mtoglia Date 09-24-2009 19:02
Where would I find information/standards on fusing stainless steel thing-gauge tubing?

Thanks
Parent - - By Ke1thk (**) Date 09-30-2009 18:56
The AWS Codes would be D1.3 or D17.1.  I'd try my local library for "how to" information. 

What size material are you trying to weld? What process are you using? Are you more interested in the creating documents? The more information you give the better.

Good Luck,

Keith
Parent - - By mtoglia Date 10-07-2009 20:43
We are fusing 1.5" x 1.5" x 14ga tubing to 1/4 plate. TGAW. Both are A304 SS. Not sure what you mean by 'creating documents'. I'm trying to figure out how you would design the actual 'weld'. What is the throat assumption, etc.?

Thanks for your help.
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 10-08-2009 04:25
If you are talking about a fillet weld, the usual design standard is a leg size equal to the tube wall thickness.
Parent - - By mtoglia Date 10-08-2009 15:30
obewan.

is that true for a case when no filler rod is used?
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 10-08-2009 16:23
I am not sure how your case is possible with no filler rod, but we make tons of fillet welds with no filler wire where one tube pilots over another to make a lap joint.  We burn down the corner of the OD tube to make a fillet weld with a leg size equal to the tube wall thickness in that case.
Parent - - By mtoglia Date 10-08-2009 18:10
the tube is a post and the plate is a baseplate. so, presumably, ideally, the fillet ends up being equal parts tube wall and plate, correct? in this case, would one assume a fillet thickness to be half the wall thickness?
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 10-08-2009 18:24 Edited 10-08-2009 18:28
I still can't picture how it can be made with no filler wire.  If the tube is perpindicular to the plate, where is there a corner or edge to melt into the fillet triangle?  And I am not sure 1/2 the tube wall would be thick enough unless the plate is thinner  Most design standards are based upon the wall thickness of the thinner member.  But, you can design to whatever you want to as long as you size the fillet weld to carry the load.  Omar Blodgett's Design of Welded Structures is a good reference for tasks like that.  But in general, a fillet equal to the tube wall thickness will have a strength approximately equal to the tube wall.  That is the rule we use for all our designs.
Parent - By mtoglia Date 10-08-2009 18:30
you get to the root of my question. there is no free corner like in your example above. the plate is 3/16", so it is plenty thick. there is obviously fusing going on, and i'm sure that, somehwere, there are standards for this type of weld. i just cant track them down.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Fusing Stainless Steel Thin-Gauge Tubing