Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / ASME/AWS Guided Bend Specimen Dimensions
- - By weldr61 (*) Date 09-25-2009 16:14
Is there a standard specimen size for guided bend tests (root, face and sidebends)? I have seen variations of this. For example, I have been told that for a 3/8" thick test plate the width of the test specimen should be 4 times the thickness which would be 1 1/2" that sounds reasonable. However, I was also was told that the width is proportional with the thickness and the second example was if the plate was 1" in thickness the specimen would be 4" in width that sounds rather large. Can someone put this to rest for me with accurate code worthy facts.

Thank you.
Chas. Miller
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 09-25-2009 16:45
which code? what is the material ? The AWS D1.1 describes two bender jigs with different radius for different steels that can be made they have different radius. The finished coupons for both need to be 3/8" by 1 1/2" by @ 6"
If you are testing on Plate thicker than 3/8   like 1" you will cut slices 3/8" thick to accommodate the jig.on the thicker material will only be as wide as the thickness of the test plate and you will do only side bends as face and roots are not possible.
AWS D1.1 Figure 4.12 shows the three bends their orientation and size of 3/8"X1 1/2"X6?" with notes that specimens may need to be longer if using a wrap around type bending fixture.
If the test material is over 1 1/2" thick it will have to be reduced to between 3/4" and 1 1/2" width to accommodate the jig
Hope this helps more than hurts.
Parent - By weldr61 (*) Date 09-25-2009 20:12
Thanks. Definitely helped didn't hurt at all. I appreciate your input.

Chas.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-25-2009 17:25
Charlie.

In order to test welders, qualify procedures or do production, it is critical to have a copy of the applicable code on hand.

While you may get the correct data from asking questions here on this web-forum. The best way to work through your qestions and the best way to have a good quality program is for supervision to have the code on hand at all times.

Getting confirmation on this site is a good way to validate what you discern from the code book, but if you don't have the hard copy reference you risk confusion and non-compliance.  Especially when dealing with multiple codes.
Parent - By weldr61 (*) Date 09-25-2009 20:19
I can appreciate your concern for accuracy. This was simply for my information no intention to apply it.

Thank you.
Chas.
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 09-26-2009 13:25
The thickest bend specimen I have seen is 3/8".  Once the base metal thickness exceeds 3/8", side bends are used which are 3/8" wide x the base metal thickness.  I think 3/4" is the maximum base metal thickness allowed for face/root bends, but I've never seen anyone choose to do a face/root bend on material over 1/2" thick.  When the base metal thickness exceeds 1-1/2", the side bends are allowed to be cut into multiple specimens.  The "standard" width of face/root bend specimens is specified as 1-1/2" in ASME IX and AWS D1.1, however narrower specimens are allowed for some pipe diameters.  Not sure if this holds true for other codes, but I doubt there would be much difference.  I think they are all based on the ASTM A370 bend test requirements.  If you make it to accept specimens up to 2" wide, it is not likely you will ever need to cut specimens into multiple widths.

Most basic benders are set up with a die radius for 3/8" thick face & root specimens or 3/8" side bend specimens.  You have to remember to not use this radius for face & root bends in material less than 3/8" thick though.  The die radius is always 2T, which is 2 times the specimen thickness, or die diameter of 4T.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / ASME/AWS Guided Bend Specimen Dimensions