Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / VRTEX 360 Powered by VRSIM!
- - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 09-25-2009 20:31
Has a anyone seen the new Lincoln Electric Virtual Reality Welding training system based on the same technology from VRSIM yet???

I had the opportunity to use this system on Tuesday September 22nd at the Lincoln Electric Automation Division in Cleveland, OH... This system was only shown previously at the Essen Welding Fair in Germany earlier this year, and will see it's North American Debut at the AWS Welding Show in Chicago. The reason why I was able to see and test it prior to the AWS Welding show was because I attended a Welding Instructor Seminar hosted by Lincoln Electric and they previewed it for us to see what type of attention and interest they could generate from just a few welding instructors attending... Well. let me just say that the seminar was delayed by at least an hour because of the interest it generated!!!

As a Welding instructor who has thought of a similar type of system way back in the early nineteen eighties, but could not find backing to develop such a system, I have to say that this was well worth the wait!!! This system works well and should be at the very least, incorporated into all of the welding schools in the US in order for this country to remain competitive with the rest of the world!!!

Now don't get me wrong here, because I'm not advocating that these virtual training systems replace the already existing equipment used for welding training!!! However, this type of training is very helpful in determining who has the potential to become a decent welder immediately and if used properly can also be used as a screening method to determine whether or not an individuals progress in a pre-determined amount of time will, or will not show enough improvement in technique through one on one training in virtual reality in order to continue on to traditional training without having to waste so much materials, consumables, time and electrical costs in comparison.

Any welding instructor who has taught enough students from a variety of demographics, and personalities knows from experience that there are some students not capable of learning much less mastering the skill sets required to become a qualified welder ,and this is one tool that can be used to screen out those types of students very early in the teaching/training process without having to use so much effort in materials, time and the other resources I just mentioned above which would save the schools, and school districts, community, and technical colleges, as well as universities, private schools and the private sector who use in-house training using traditional methods to train individuals welding techniques.

This tool will eventually pay for itself over a period of time in cost savings when compared to not having one or more of the virtual welding training system's in use at a training facility. Remember that htis is only one tool in an aresenal of tools necessary to provide quality training in welding technology. So let me start to describe this system as I experienced it. I'l first give you the corporate pitch and add in a few of my own observations.

"The Revolution in Welding Training is here..." "VERTEX 360 Powered by VRSIM Provided to you by Lincoln Electric - The Welding Experts."
Get more information - Register at: www.vrtex360.com

INNOVATION:
The VRTEX 360 is built upon the technology of the VRSim Simwelder and represents the next generation of VR welding training.
The VRTEX 360 is a VRAW (Virtual Reality Arc Welding) training solution. The combination of realistic puddle simulation and arc welding sound tied to the welder's movement provides a realistic, hands on training experience. The VRTEX 360 is capable of simulating multiple arc welding processes on a wide variety of weld joint configurations.

PERFORMANCE:
Drive welding training performance and train welders faster using an interactive VR experience combined with state of the art instructor resources.

INSTRUCTOR TOOLS: First Pass welding curriculum easily integrates with VR welding training into traditional welding training programs. Student reports can be saved and evaluated to track student progress.

Student Experience:
Visual cues provide real time welding technique feedback similar to a video game. Multiple Virtual environments simulate field welding applications.

Eco-Friendly:
Turn your welding program GREEN: VR Welding Technology: Reduces material waste, Saves Energy, Tracks material and cost savings using the "Weldometer"

Potential Cost savings in: Base material, Electrodes, Shielding gas, Consumable parts, Energy consumption and not to mention the reduction in greehouse gases produced via actual welding!

Attract the Next Generation of welders to your Welding Program:
Use VR training to change the image of welding and fill the seats in your welding program. Skilled trade shortages are resulting in a demand for skilled workers. Exciting and lucrative careers with opportunities for advancement are available in the welding industry.

Okay, that's the Lincoln shpiel!!! Now for my own personal perspective...
This system will definitely be useful for every school teaching welding and will also be useful for union training facilities (some are already using similar systems) as well as private corporate training facilities as well. It cannot replace traditional welding equipment used for training nor is it intended to do so in the first place...

What it does is offer the training facility to provide a more efficient overall training environment with the use of this tool as well as the means to screen out trainees incapable of grasping what is required of them for a variety of reasons such as incapable of improving their own manual dexterity skills as well as their eye/hand coordination skills to a level where they could continue their training with traditional welding equipment in real time. With the VRTEX 360™ you get real time scoring and evaluation. Monitor a wide number of
variables that impact weld integrity and quality including:Travel speed, Position, CTWD / Arc length, Work angle, Travel angle. This system also covers most of the joints found in many different welding environments such as: 1F&G, 2F&G, 3F&G, 4F&G, 5F&G, 6F&G, lap, edge and corner joints on both plate to plate with or without backing on groove joints, pipe to plate as well as pipe joints with open roots also. The instructor can use this information to quickly identify areas for welding technique improvement.

It does show you practically in real time what needs to be improved with respect to technique which is beneficial because it can be recorded throughout the VR welded joint.
So far there are only three processes that can be used for training currently and they are: SMAW, GMAW and FCAW. However they will provide updated software to upgrade the system for future use in VR training of GTAW and any other process they come up with in the future. Overall, I believe this system is a must have for any institution that wants to offer state of the art training in the 21st century! This system does work as pitched and is very user friendly!!! If you don't consider this tool, your training facility will be left behind in comparison to other facilities that will offer this system as part of their overall training package. But don't take my owrd for it!!! Go to the AWS welding show in Chicago and see for yourself what the buzz is all about!!! ;) ;) ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 10-09-2009 19:24
Hellow Henry,

I was just speaking to some people from Lincoln and they mentioned they had something new. They also mentioned some upcoming High Def Training videos.

Id love to see the simulator in action.

I recently contacted Nintendo regarding developing something on their platform but was told to contact individual developers. Yet not long after that, there was an article for training surgeons using the same platform.

The major cost per student at our facility is electrodes. That could be reduced considerably with a VR trainer. Of course a pencil, flat washer and a white piece of paper taped down can weed out some who need to steady things up a bit.

Any Idea what the cost of the system is ?

Gerald Austin
www.weldingdata.com
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-09-2009 20:13 Edited 10-10-2009 17:28
Hi Gerald!

Yeah! I read ya loud and clear there buddy!!! ;)

What they told us was around  $45,000 with continuous software upgrades included in the price. The only shortcoming is that for now, one can only use one unit per student...
In other words, unlike some of the other VR systems out in the ever growing market, one is limited in how many students can be hooked up per unit... For instance, the VRSIM original system has scalability where this system is limited to one user per system but, I was told that they will be coming out with multiple user packages soon

My own perspective thinks that these types of educational systems need to be multiple user configurations in order for easier market acceptance as well as scalable so that one can expand their original purchase to suit the customers needs as opposed to limiting the customer to one participant per system which works out to greater capital outlays, and limiting the amount of equipment any school system can afford while making it harder to justify the purchase when other more scalable systems are available instead.

I guess, as with anything eles that's new, they'll probably just have to find out through customer exposure as well as potential customer feedback which should be fast and furious soon enough as it debuts in the upcoming AWS/FabTech show in Chicago this month? Or is it next month? Soon enough!!! :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-10-2009 15:17 Edited 10-10-2009 15:25
Our system has one of the older virtual welding gizmos at our Madison facillity...  They perform well and I'm sure the new Lincoln model is much better.

But the only folks who I know to have marked succsess with this type of training is the Military and the Prisons because they have an unlimited amount of taxpayer money to throw into a project that obviously cannot be a significant student learning benefit without many of these units..

Having a single unit in a program with an 18-1 student to teacher ratio, will not save gas, filler, base metal or time... It just won't work..  and I for one am not willing to spend 45K for a unit with such limitations, no matter how nice it is.  Nothing more than a plesant distraction with lipservice to green initiatives...  Oh and yes the Deans and VP's will be snarfing these things up with Green grant dollars only to have them sit in a corner of the classroom getting minimal use because only one student can benefit at a time and their grants will be maxed out with the purchase of a single training workstation. (instead of air return fume extraction, inverter power supplies or some other truely *green* addition in capital equipment)

I would much rather have a robot or some other CNC application that 45K could leverage.

Heck Lincoln has a Robotic Training module for less cost that can team-train on steel, stainless, alum, GMAW, GMAWP, STT, servos, CNC programming, limit switches, fitup and fab, multi-axis movement etc.... Something that could serve student learners not only in welding but also in Mechianical design, automation, and CNC programming programs,,,, Now that's bang for your buck....Gimme one of those baby!

When they can produce 10 training workstations for 45K I'll start to pay attention.
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-10-2009 19:09
Hi Larry!

Have you had the opportunity to try that system out in Madison? If you haven't, you really should because, it is a better system IMHO, than the Lincoln one and does have the capability for simultaneous multiple user training as well as being very scalable when compared to the Lincoln system which will eventually offer a similar package soon enough...

What really irks me about this single unit package Lincoln is offering is the obvious fact that these friggin marketing eggheads that really do not have clue as to properly market something like this in a manner whereby they would have gotten input from us, the instructors out in the field first before coming out with a finished product that has so far been met with mostly skeptical observations very much along the lines we both have observed with respect to it's obvious limitations.

I beleive this is the difference between Lincoln and VRSIM as well as their competitors because they did do some research with respect to making sure they got some instructor input before coming out with their own products.

Yeah I know that I was raving about the system and preaching about everyone needing to invest in these systems because it's going to become a widespread teaching tool soon enough and it will be just that!! Just as soon as they realize that they need to offer them in multiple operator configuration or else they will inevitably do exactly what you mentioned which is to sit in a corner and collect dust much to the dismay of the administrators who though initially that they would be able to pay for itself within the first five years only to find out that it's costing them too much to see any substantial return on investment to keep it in use as a viable training tool that is inherently limited.

I personally think that only a scalable system will be convincing enough to justify purchasing to the rest of the educational institutions besides the large defense contractors, the military or the huge prison systems that so far have been the only ones benefiting from this sort of training. Lincoln and whoever else comes up with similar apckages need to grasp this or they'll be wasting a lot of time and effort in trying to sell them as single unit products.

I read you loud and clear with putting better use of the limited funds to purchase andconstantly upgrade air amanagement systems as opposed to these types of tools especially if they're as limited in their scalability... Instead, combining stirling solar powered engines with vertical axis wind turbines all over the welding area's perimeter will in the long term take a nice chunk out of one's energy costs with respect to their overall operating budget, which would in turn free up some funding to eventually materialize for purchasing practical improvements such as improved lighting and other pragmatic improvements with respect to the overall educational environment!

Tere also needs to be a paradigm shift which I beleive is already starting to happen with respect to advanced audio/visual training aids such as smart boards, and other similar tools hwich offer student many more options than previously available which were mostly a few published versions of fundamental welding technology books and only a limited number of audio/visual resources to supplement the topics covered in the books...

As more and more quality options become available to the instructor, the better the opportunities will be the norm for students to learn from a wider variety of learning methods, and their needs to be better training amongst the instructor themselves in order to identify each students learning personalities in order to better identify which method would be more suitable for that individual student to learn the material better as we all know that there are many different styles of learning that different students may or may not excel in.

So, we need to also develop tools that can screen the variety of student populations preferably before the instructors get to work with the students if at all possible.This way the instructors have more time to customize their individual student training options ahead of time instead of analysis on the fly which sometimes can be inapplicable in such a fast paced curriculum and usually leaves one or two students lagging which IMHO, is unacceptable!

This will be what needs to be addressed in the near term in order to stay in the top tier of educational training facilities because there will be increasing competition from some larger funded corporate entities like the facilities already being expanded by the likes of Westinghouse and the larger energy corporations which will be eventually used to justify other corporate entities to look at and also incorporate into their future training options towards in house training as opposed to partnering with their regional educational entitiesinstead which has been the traditional route and therefore, putting a lot of pressure on the public institutions who offer similar training yet, not as up to date or as efficient as the in house models do in copmparison.

These are my observations as of late ,and as someone who's been training future welder/fabricators for the past fifteen or more years now, I've seen enough changes in the Industrial training and teaching field to see the changes and the the directions we will be heading towards in the very near future which looks pretty promising so long as the funding remains available as well as the interest remains high enough to warrant such continuing expansion and modernization.

Well that's my take on the future of our industry training practices and developments. ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-10-2009 23:02
Hey Henry!

I have run the one up in Madison and have run the demos at each of the last few welding expos.  There is alot to like about the notion of having students get gun angles correct along with a notion of travel speed before they start melting metal. But one beginner at a time just isn't a profitable way to go. And the price of the Lincoln or the other is ougrageous no matter which way you slice it....  Kids video games have similar if not better technology and I don't think Mom and Dad are shelling out quite as much.

It is a huge up front investment in trials for this kind of stuff, (thousands of hours) and they do have welders and educators involved.  To me it's just a Gordian Knot, with the up-front costs being so very high that the product itself must be overly expensive. Unless Steve Jobs or Bill Gates wants to eat some of the overhead we are going to see nothing really new as far as pricing that a school or business can sink their teeth into.

Nothin wrong with raving about the system.. It's awsome.   I think the newest ones are a bit more easy to setup and calibrate (a big problem with the ones I've used).  Again, if it takes an instructor to sit on top of every unit and readjust it for every individual who uses it, which is the way I've seen even the newest ones operate there are still too many bugs to get my attention.  They need to be robust and intuitive..  Welders come from rough stock most of the time.

I like advanced audio/visual aids and have used a pretty large handfull of them...  But these suppliments are always going to be the small slice of the training pie when it comes to welding... Our VP's and Deans are always encouraging us to find ways to do "online" courses....  But the fact is that I have a hard time even getting behind the notion of Online teaching for Blueprint reading and shop math...  I have backed off on videos and powerpoints to some extent, breaking down the vids I do show with long intersperced lecture and demos.  I also think  80/20 Lab/Lecture is a pretty magic number and all these whistles and bells are in competition with things I really like and will have to sacrifice.  (not too old to change, but need to really be sold on it before I do)

As far as screening goes........  This is huge...  Our school is *finally* getting on the right track.  TABE and COMPASS testing with the bar raised a bit higher, simply to identify learners who need help with reading and whole numbers has been a great benefit. Now we can offer/require thin layer classes to catch weakness in students who never got that far or havent been to school in 25 years.  Now ELL/ESL students are really getting a strong benefit from the higher entry scores...  ****Caviat**** We do not hold students from the program if they do not score high enough, but it might take just a bit longer for them to graduate, which is reasonable to expect I think.  It keeps students from being passed on through with low skills or dropping out because of weak Gen-Eds.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-11-2009 00:19
Hey Larry!

That's exactly what I was trying to explain to Gerald before you started to chimed in with your own experiences, and I agree with the initial prohibitive cost structure Lincoln and the others are currently using to justify their systems... However, the Lincoln system does have many advantages when compared side by side without including the lack of scalability!

This system is far more superior to what video games currently have to offer with the exception of those exotic state of the art virtual total immersion systems offer which I would dare say are at the same level of immersion technology quality as this Lincoln system is... And as I have also had the pleasure to demo a few of the older systems which some have limited scalability incorporated in their own designs, the Lincoln system is far superior in the level of quality in immersion environmental characteristics when compared side by side to the older systems!!! Lincoln gave us the first sneak preview of their system at this seminar, and will officially debut it at this years welding show in Chi-town which may just be an even better system than what they showed us... And the only way that could be is by incorporating true scalability which I doubt that they will offer us anytime soon - that is unless, they really did pay attention to what all of the instructors said with respect to our own opinions which were pretty universal in expressing our disappointment of not having scalability built into their current system offering!!!

As you mentioned as well as when I mentioned it also, the biggest drawback is the outright limitation of only being able to have one student at a time run the system yet, it is also far more intuitive than the older system also as well as user friendly so, if they cna only come out with a system with far greater scalability as well as offering a much more affordable system, then they'll definitely have a hit on their hands, and it's sad to notice when they revealed this system to us in the educational seminar, that they already are disillusioned into thinking that they already have a hit when in reality they don't and fall way short of achieving that goal because of it's two main weaknesses.

What also saddens me is the probability that some foreign competitor will take advantage of these weaknesses and offer something more in line to what is more affordable as well as being as scalable which the educators require in order to drum up sufficient interest, and once again our domestic innovators will not be able to profit from their own innovations!!! This is what angers me most about these profit hungry pencil pushers who run these once dominating corporations which are currently struggling to compete on a global basis because they put profits ahead of market share which inevitably produces more consistent and longer term profits if they would just learn to think strategically as opposed to using short term profit models that in the end, shrivel into barely breaking even ventures in the long run. It's a real shame!!!

The TABE and COMPASS test are a step in the right direction especially for screening what the students are capable of learning as it pertains to theoretical concepts and distinguishing their individual preferences in learning capabilities which do help the educator with respect to theory which I do agree is an important part of the total screening methodologies we need to have available in order to offer a better, more customized set of training presentations and proven approaches for the various types of learning students which are found more recently to be bundled up into one class as opposed to having more uniform learning types of students in one class in comparison...

Having this type of tool will complete the circle in order to bridge the gap that currently takes place when an educator finds themselves with such a variety of students in one class exhibiting so many different learning styles which the TABE and COMPASS tests can only reveal the theoretical aspect of these various learning personalities as opposed to exposing their strengths and weaknesses from a practical perspective which I believe is just as important to have available to the educator right form the start of the learning process... I strongly believe that when these VRSIM type tools become more affordable as well as offering greater scalability, and improvements in user friendliness as well as being more intuitive that the circle cna be completed as far as achieving an advanced and more comprehensive as well as a more dynamic and fun learning environment which will hopefully produce better graduates who can out-compete with the workforces currently available from our competition around the world! Of course I'm being kind of optimistic here Larry so, I hope you understand where I'm headed with my observations here - CAPECHE?

Btw, I also only use the audio/visual aids in the same manner that you articulated because most students have only a very limited attention span and offering them anything more than twenty-five to thirty minutes tops of this type of presentation maximum will usually result in having half of the class uninterested or falling asleep or any other sort of negative reaction which would go against the very goal you are seeking to achieve at driving home certain points to the student to grasp as well as embrace. ;)

Anywho, I do enjoy discussing these perspectives that for the most part we tend to share Larry and I look forward to more interesting conversations in the future with you as well as other educators in here that also have so much to offer as well. :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / AWS Learning & Education / VRTEX 360 Powered by VRSIM!