Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / rookie inspectors
- - By tbigtdav (*) Date 09-27-2009 07:56
Hey all just looking on some advice as to how a rookie inspector should get acclimated to the industry. It seems as if QA and QC are 2 different worlds. QC seems to mean Quantity Control these days. The code has grey areas and issues always arise from rejecting a product. When evaluating welds what considerations should be taken as to the servicability. I have been told on numerous occassions that i have been too picky at times. Being a rookie all i know is whats in black and white. Im asking for other views from people that are not involved in any project i may be currently working on and any advice from impartial seasoned inspectors would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance.
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 09-27-2009 08:23
"When evaluating welds what considerations should be taken as to the servicability"

None.

Parent - By jarcher (**) Date 09-27-2009 13:05
"When evaluating welds what considerations should be taken as to the servicability."

Absolutely none. "Fit for service" is an engineering decision.

"I have been told on numerous occassions that i have been too picky at times."

Contractors, production will tell you this all the time, especially if you are new. Their main concern is keeping to schedule, your's is product quality. I work in a manufacturing setting, and believe me, during the first year or so on the job, I heard this a lot and still hear it every now and then. Eventually, when they came to understand my rejects were solidly based in the code and they were going to have to fix the weld, objections became much fewer and further between and they simply fix whatever it is without the drama. 

"Being a rookie all i know is whats in black and white."

Properly that's all you need, a solid acquaintance with the code book and the ability to apply it consistently. That's enough to do the job. Eventually you'll get a reputation for doing things the right way and doing things the right way will get much easier, people will understand they can not argue you into signing off on substandard work and they'll quit devoting the energy to attempting to get you to.
Parent - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 09-27-2009 21:33 Edited 09-27-2009 21:38
I feel its better to keep things black and white. thats what the code is for.
The guys I work with know what to expect from me, and if there is a dispute about a call I get another inspector to give his opinion.
The important thing is to catch defects and that’s what the guys know im trying to do.
For example We repaired a casting, the UT subcontracted service marked out the crack,  when I was called to MT the Back gouge I noticed a little indication in the area that would be the repairs HAZ. I decide to investigate it, and found it to be the crack that the UT guy should have marked out, the crack turned in the middle .
It grew huge as it was ground out .
So If I Didn’t Address that tiny little indication we would have missed the Crack altogether.
Welder would have taken heat (for some other inspectors bad call), so They know I’m looking out for them.
if you respect your welders they will respect you.
I would advise that you keep a journal and record every thing, I mean everything. Be sure to report all concerns written in your journal. I cannot tell you how many times in my career that I have used my journals to figure out other peoples issues on the job.(corporate amnesia)
Make sure all deviations are recorded and signed (verbal changes don’t mean a thing).
Be familiar with the Qualiy manuals at the places you inspect for (this will help you to move from QC to QA)
MDK
Parent - By Duke (***) Date 09-28-2009 00:34
The Engineer is in charge of 'serviceability'.  You are in charge of recording 'conformance to plans and specs'. If you are never told by contractors that you are too picky, you are probably too easy.  However, if you call defects based on code or specs, be prepared to show acceptance criteria and how the defect doesn't 'measure up'.  Always assume that any call you make could someday be projected onto a screen in a courthouse...
Parent - - By CHGuilford (****) Date 09-28-2009 13:29
All in all, I'd say being "too picky" is far better than being known as not picky enough.

What industry are you working in?  That can make a difference.
Keeping in mind that a "bad weld" is not a good thing in any industry, some welds are more important than others.  That being said, don't forget that "Murphy's Law" says that whatever can go wrong will go wrong - and you WILL miss something. If you keep an open mind, open eyes, and open ears, you will soon learn where you need to focus your attention when you are doing inspections.

I'd rather goof-up on a siding clip weld than a main member splice weld any day.
Parent - - By tbigtdav (*) Date 09-28-2009 22:58
I would like to thank you guys for the input received. Although i have been told that i am too picky and have gotten into a few arguments over rejections i haven't strayed from the code on anything. I believe i am doing my job to the best of my ability and will continue to do so. I just wanted outside opinions as to wether im doing it correctly. Obviously i want to see the project get completed but safety of the structure and all lives involved remains my number 1 priority. Once again THANK YOU, as you all have reassured me i am doing the right thing.
Parent - By mpmoore Date 09-29-2009 16:27
Inspect to the Code. Its all in black in white but production will alway try to say you are too picky. Bottom line is like the old Quasar commerical. "Quality goes in before the name goes on. Give the welders the utmost respect and complement them when they do a good job.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / rookie inspectors