Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / filter lenes
- - By LongArc (**) Date 09-27-2009 23:59
I've heard a siver lenes has a blue tent. Is this true? I can find them. I use a green one. I use a shade 10 I weld pipe with stick. I perfure glass to plastic because it dosn't scratch. What is the advantage to gold? Does the color matter? Which one do you recommend and why?
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 09-28-2009 00:35 Edited 09-28-2009 23:12
I have an Optrel Quick Change #10 I also have a new Arc One #9. Both of these lenses are very thin and  fit in my Pipeliner Hood. I like them as well as my A.O. #10 lens. They are both VERY clear.
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 09-28-2009 03:18
I got home with one of those gold looking ones on outside and everything was red was not for me hated it but others may like it.  Everyone has their own preference for what job you are doing too and indoors or outdoors matters to some.  #10 green Jackson for me most times or #12 for hardfacing. 
Parent - By Mat (***) Date 09-28-2009 06:40 Edited 09-28-2009 06:50
I found that even with the el-cheapo polycarbonate gold plated lenses compared to their green glass counterparts are a lot easier on the eyes.  The downside is that they scratch really easily, but as long as you don't use a side loading lid, they can last a long time.  I don't know how to explain why I like them...however, a glass lense will always outlast a polycarbonate lense if properly taken care of.

Right now I use an Arc One auto lense, just because the piecework job I'm doing involves a LOT of tack welds (rocket science!).  I honestly prefer passive lenses simply for clarity, but it's nice that they make an auto lense that fits into a standard helmet so I don't need to track down some "super spatter deflective" specially shaped and sized cover lense!  :)

Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / filter lenes