Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / JWright you have a message
- - By eekpod (****) Date 09-30-2009 10:15
John, please look for a message I sent you yesterday.  thanks chris
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-30-2009 11:34
Chris
Did you send a PM or an email?
I don't think that I received either one, but I'll look through my spam folder just in case the filter kicked it over into there.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-30-2009 11:55 Edited 09-30-2009 11:59
Chris
I checked my spam folder and I didn't see anything but spam, so send it again and I'll keep an eye out for it.

jwright650@aol.com

or PM

edit:
BTW, I'm leaving work for a little while today to attend a Welding Cirriculum Advisory Meeting at the local Community College so I won't be able to answer between 9:30am and however long this meeting takes.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 09-30-2009 13:22
Actually I sent both becasue I wasn't sure if the message part of this board went through from work, so at home I sent it to your e-mail at AOL.  I'll send it again.  Chris
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-30-2009 16:01
OK, I'm back from the meeting now.....
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 09-30-2009 18:45
John, I'm sorry I'm having all kinds of technical difficulties becasue I can't send or receive via AOL at work so they never went through, sorry.

I'll just write it here.

Can I ask you to please double check me in my determination that it is ok for me to change from mixed gas duel sheild FCAW to straight CO2 without having to re-do my D1.5 Bridge PQR's and WPS's?

The owner wants to consider changing to straight CO2 to save money.

I Went through and came up with shielding gas "composition" is not an essential variable so I can change to 100% CO2 and not have to re-do my PQR or re-certify my welders.

D1.5 Bridge Code
Table 5.1 pg 100 allows me to change the composition, and I'm going in the direction they talk about so I'm OK.
Section 5.13 Production WPS pg 90, takes me to Table 5.3 pg 101; there it talks about flow rate, not composition.
Section 5.24.2 pg 96 Welder Qual. Variables, again does not mention change in composition of shielding gas.

So I come up with per D1.5 that I can change from a mixed gas to a single gas composition and not have to requal my PQR,WPS's or re-certify my welders.

Would you agree?? I'd like your insight.

Thanks Chris
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-30-2009 19:08
Chris, I don't have a copy of D1.5 here with me....sorry.
Parent - - By Shane Feder (****) Date 10-01-2009 01:40
Chris,
My interpretation of AWS D1.5 2008 Table 5.1 is that you will require a new PQR.
"Each shielding gas or combination of shielding gases" is shown with Note (a)
Note (a) is "Differences of 25% or less in the minor element of the mixture proportion shall not require separate tests."
My interpretation of that is that if you have an 80/20 mix you can change the "minor" element to 15% or 25% without requalification.
However, you want to remove the minor element completely which IMHO is a new PQR,
Regards,
Shane
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 10-01-2009 10:24
Thanks Shane.
So your saying from note a that because I am changing the minor element and eliminating it completly, that's why it would require me to re-qualify the WPS.  I was coming from the angle that I was changing it, but reducing it from 25% to 0% and that I would be ok, but Table 5.1 doesn't say anthing about eliminating a minor element just changing the percentage.  I see what your saying.

What about Table 5.3, why doesn't it address gas composition?  I was thinking if it wasn't addressed in Table 5.3 then it didn't matter per the code, and that backed up Table 5.1, but now that you pointed out another perspective of Table 5.1, I'm surprised that Table 5.3 doesn't list gas composition as an essential variable.

Chris
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / JWright you have a message