Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Finally! The losing streak is over!!!
- - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-05-2009 03:49
STEELERS WIN !!! 38 to 28 in what can only be described as an exercise in cardiac health!!! :) :) :)

The Running game is back and that was important but, we still need to work on the secondary, and I wish these players would get rid of the habit of saying "You know what I mean" more than ten times in a one minute interview but what the heck! We'll take it!!! YES INDEED!!! YEAH BABY!!! ;) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 10-05-2009 15:56
Texans 29, Raiders 6

You know what I mean?!?!?
Parent - - By swnorris (****) Date 10-05-2009 20:01
"You know what I mean" is a phrase used by the inarticulate and dimwitted (1) as a comma, (2) to allow the speaker to stall for time in order to come up with other connecting words, (3) to buy time and cover the speaker's lack of knowledge of a subject on which they have decided to speak and the resulting insecurity this engenders. 
It is particularly irritating in athletes, as they are paid way in excess of the average salary of their audience precisely to tell them what it is they mean. The unspoken assumption is that the audience are already well aware of the 'gem of wisdom' or 'fact' imparted by the 'expert' and that there really is no need to provide such insightless insights.
"You know what I mean" has evolved into "You know what I'm sayin".  It is primarily used to ask if the recipient of a statement understands what was being spoken.  It is also used frequently through an educating conversation.  For example: The carbon-14 atoms that cosmic rays produce, coalesce with oxygen to structure carbon dioxide, which plants take in naturally and integrate into plant fibers by photosynthesis. You know what i'm sayin? It can also be used as a mating call.  For example: Hey girl, why don't we go to my place and connect our genetilia, you know what i'm sayin?
Parent - - By johnnyh (***) Date 10-05-2009 21:31
It can also be shortened when in a hurry to "yao ming?"
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-06-2009 02:47
Just ask little "Le-a". She knows what You mean.
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / Finally! The losing streak is over!!!