Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / AWS Guided Bend Test Jig
- - By DoktahZ Date 10-05-2009 19:54
I am looking to put a Guided Bend Test Jig into my lab. I heard rumor that Hobart supplies a ready made AWS accepted Jig, but I haven't actually been able to find the thing. Anyone know about a ready made jig, or am I stuck contracting a fab shop?
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 10-05-2009 19:57
The Code gives enough info why not get someone to build you the one you need as they show two, depending on the metal being welded, 
Parent - - By DoktahZ Date 10-05-2009 20:03
Word. I am just being lazy and want to buy it Wal-Mart style :-)
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-05-2009 22:28
DoktahZ,
   You can buy one "Wal-Mart style" but it will not come at Wal-Mart price. You will for sure pay through the nose for it. There is really not much to building your own. The hardest thing is getting the hardened rollers in the correct size. Other than that it is easy-cheesy.

Where are you located? I might be interested in building one for you. LOL

jrw159
Parent - By wldgengr (*) Date 10-05-2009 20:57
I built one from the dimensions in D1.1, but here is one if you want to buy one.  http://www.trieng.com/bend.html 
Parent - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 10-06-2009 19:17
Fischer Engineering, in Ohio, has one for about $3000.00, that is air powered, has roller shoulders and can accommodate different bend radii.  You have to buy a knurled plunger shoe for each radius. 

I have this machine, and it weighs less than 100 pounds, including the board I have it set up on.   It is not a wrap around machine, but with the knurled plunger shoe, and the roller shoulders, it is also great for miss-matched tensile strength coupon plates, and all metals.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 10-07-2009 00:44
Hello DoktahZ, Joseph mentioned the Fischer Engineering units. We use one of their units at our facility and it has served us well for many years. I have included a couple of pictures of our particular machine. It is the electric/hydraulic type unit. Best regards, Allan
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / AWS Guided Bend Test Jig