Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Easy to make Back purge cups
- - By Metarinka (****) Date 10-06-2009 01:14
They say you learn something new everyday.

anyone who has set up track TIG torches, or orbital welders will know that more often than not you need a back purge and trailing gas too.  There are store bought solutions, but very often you find they are too wide, small, long, short etc, not to mention spendy. The other option is to make something from what you have around the shop everything from cardboard and duct tape, to aluminum tape or simple manifolds made out of drilled pipe. The problem is often times the gas diffusion is spotty, and people begin stuffing steel wool, or metal mesh into holes to try to smooth things out and make their own "gas lens".

Today I learned an "old-dog" trick that worked just as well as any store bought trailing gas, or back purge system I've seen in fact I would have to say better than some.

sintered metal plate about 0.100" thick.

We made a rectangle box form with 5 sides out of normal scrap stainless and the last side out of sintered metal (don't ask me the composition).   A normal fitting was welded on.

It worked perfect! not a hint of discoloration, very even uniform flow and low turbulence. Sintered metal is very porous in those thicknesses and this creates thousands of evenly placed holes that you can't get with a manifold or steel wool, or wire mesh. a seal welded shape allows you to keep oxygen out and even pressure throughout the chamber.

No pictures or I'd be finding a new job, but to the untrained eye it looks like a solid box and fabs up just the same

Happy welding
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 10-11-2009 03:56
hmmm thats an interesting idea

I would still like to see pictures!!!!!   I have made some homemade trailers with just two pieces of .010 321.   Just use a center punch on one piece with a block of wood underneath then fuse weld the two together necking them up to whatever fitting/connection you want to use.  Its pretty bendable and can be formed to the shape you want....good on small ss pipe.   I will see if I can get my hands on some sintered to make up some new ones......you can't have too many different trailers in the toolbox  thats for sure.

Tommy
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 10-12-2009 15:46
Tommyjoking

Be Careful!  When you get the sintered material it may have oil in it.  I used bronze sintered bearing plate material for this application, and it worked fine for Stainless Steel.  When I used it for Titanium, -Disaster!   I bought my material from a transmission power supply house.

Joe Kane
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 10-12-2009 15:56
Thank you for the caution Joe.   Any time a Ti weld goes bad it is definitely disaster!!  Rekon you could leach any oil out with an acetone soak?
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-13-2009 02:10
It sounds like Joe had Oilite material. I think You would want to flow solvent through it. I would start with a solvent that cuts petrolium better than acetone, however.
Parent - - By Joseph P. Kane (****) Date 10-13-2009 14:54
Dave

It was Oilite bearing plate material.  I did soak it in acetone.  I didn't know that acetone wasn't a good solvent for oil and I didn't have any cloroform at the time that I made the shields.

Joe Kane
Parent - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-14-2009 04:50
Where I served My apprenticeship We used a thick stickey oil similar to STP for die guide post lubricant. Acetone would not cut it, but safety solvent as used in a parts washer disolved it readily. Solvents like this probably leave a film, so I think a final wash with acetone would be needed.

This is probably a good place to remind of the dangers of using clorinated solvents like brake cleaner on anything that might expose the liquid or vapors to high temperatures. These solvents break down into poisionous gas when they get really hot.
Parent - By Steve.E (**) Date 10-17-2009 05:25
Hi Tommy...Google Air exhaust mufflers, you can get sintered bronze or stainless complete with a range of connecting threads . About the best back purge action Ive used.
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 10-14-2009 19:27
I'll see if I can clear a picture, but I have a feeling I won't be able to.

good tip about cleaning out the sintered plate, as it's porous it will soak up just about anything
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Easy to make Back purge cups