Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Piping weld repair ASME B31.3
- - By dhannaro (*) Date 10-08-2009 10:53
Hello

Could you please help me to clarify for piping weld repair as per ASME B 31.3 para 328.6 weld repair , can we removed defect by carbon arc gouging ? in case of heavy wall thickness , If the code not allow what paragraph is prohibit.

Thank you ,

dha
Parent - - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 10-08-2009 12:51
yes you can to my knowledge
Parent - By Richman (**) Date 10-08-2009 13:52 Edited 10-13-2009 08:28
Verify WPS. Many times I encouter in the projects it already stated in WPS can be done by gouging or by grinding depending on the thickness and diameter to be repair. The weld repair is same as the original welding done as per WPS requirements
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 10-08-2009 22:28
I personally don't like to use carbon gouging to repair defective welds. I use carbon electrode for back-gouging of welds. For repairing, I prefer grinding disks.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 10-09-2009 05:07
Professor Crisi, when one of our 230 mm thick groove welds fail UT at 75-100 MM down, your preference of using grinding disks would change! :)  (not talking pipe here)
Parent - - By jarcher (**) Date 10-09-2009 10:53
Having done more than my fair share of repairs (a couple of jobs I have held, I somehow got designated "repair wizard" and performed virtually all the repairs in the shop) its my opinion that both grinding and ACA have their areas of application. If the repair is likely to be shallow and be a substantial discontinuity, like a short crack, grinding is fine. If the discontinuity is small, like very fine porosity grinding may obscure and hide defects. Aside from the depth issue, ACA gouging is much superior, in the hands of a skilled operator, at finding and positively identifying fine discontinuities. 
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 10-09-2009 21:09
Well, dha was talking of B31.3, so he was obviously referring to pipe, and so was I. 
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - By jarcher (**) Date 10-19-2009 01:39
Sorry to be so late in replying. Actually what I was referring to was chiefly various times I've worked in B31.3 shops. Of course grinders rule on 2" nominal STD weight, the general rule there is to take out the bad spot completely and you don't want to go through wall with a carbon arc, but when you get into 16" XXXS there is a choice to be made.  Those are just obvious examples, with carbon sizes available down to 1/8", there are a lot of places on piping where it can be either/or.
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 10-19-2009 19:04
In case of "Heavy wall" I guess preheat will be needed, I don't remember ASME's view on this.
Maybe even slightly higher than for welding, depending on the depth of gouging.

Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Piping weld repair ASME B31.3