Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / GTAW hand amptrol options
- - By Goose (**) Date 04-18-2002 00:32
I have a Lincoln Squarewave 175 Pro Tig machine in my home race shop. I'd like to try a hand amptrol(to attach to the torch handle) instead of the foot pedal. The switch needs to a a variable amp control model, not just on/off.

I know lincoln sells a model (slider design I think), as does Arc-Zone (rotary switch design). A good friend has an older model switch, but his is real bulky...his has a 1 1/2" square box, 2" long, zip tied to the handle. The box has a rod coming out of it towards the torch head, and there's a 3/4" to 1" diameter disc on the end of the rod. He pushes with a finger/thumb on the disc pulling it out of the box to initiate the arc and control the amperage. His is a nice design as you can access the switch from either side of the torch, but the box is way, way too bulky for me.

Please give me some feedback on switch types you have used and liked (and why), as well as manufacturers who makes these hand amp controls.

Thanks
Todd
Parent - By C. Milligan Date 05-26-2002 14:46
Goose,

The device you are describing is sometimes called a "Slide-switch" and a good quality version can be found by contacting www.ckworldwide.com, or calling (800) 426-0877 . They call their switch the "Amptrak" and they are available in a variety of configurations. You will need the following info: Length of torch cable, remote(amphenol) plug configuration, and how you choose to attach the switch to your torch. The one I purchased is for a 10-pin Hobart Machine with a 25ft. torch lead. This particular unit fastens to the torch with "Velcro" straps, and costed about $130. I have found this unit to be considerably less cumbersome than the rotary types found on many of the OEM Miller machines. This is however only my opinion. Best wishes...

C. Milligan

Parent - By bmaas1 (***) Date 05-26-2002 20:55
Goose,

I have used all the controls that you have mentioned. The older style that you mentioned is big and bulky and hard to get used to. The slide control in my opinion is alright but I preferred the rotary switch instead. Its just a matter of preference. If you can use a foot pedal that would be better.

Brian Maas
Parent - By airweld (**) Date 05-28-2002 16:22
I agree with C. Milligan. I have used CK Amptrack slide switchs for many years and they are excellent quality. Bench work may warrant a foot pedal but I never do much of that.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / GTAW hand amptrol options