Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Steel Bridge Inspection with PA /TOFD AWS D1.5
- - By jaws (*) Date 10-08-2009 12:48
Dear Forum Members,

We have fabrication and construction inspection job with PA / TOFD. The job is steel bridge inspection job according to AWS D1.5M. The welds are long and have heavy wall thickness. apprx 100mm (4''). So we need to reliable and fast inspection method. About the inspection method client thinks that PA or TOFD because of conventional UT need to at least to scaning. If we choose the TOFD or PA I think also we need to motorized or semi manual scaning tool other wise it is not reliable and fast. Do you agree with me.

Which equipment is the best for this inspection I already used omniscan 5 years ago. And for viewing program tomoview is to much expensive. I just test it one time agr handy scan. Apart from this market has a many TOFD / PA equipment like GE Phassor etc. Do you have any advise.

If you have already such a inspection job would you like to share experience with me?

Thanks a lot for your reading and advices

Gokce OZTURK
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 10-08-2009 17:17
Just to make sure I understand the question, it is the client who wants to substitute PA/TOFD for UT?  You are still going to perform RT wherever required?

Is this a U.S. client?

Hg
Parent - - By jaws (*) Date 10-08-2009 18:16
Dear HgTX,

No we have not been start to a project. Fabrication will be start in next two months just we are discussing the inspection method. We never thought the RT. It is not US client.
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 10-08-2009 18:19
If you use PA instead of conventional UT you will need to come to agreement with the client about acceptance criteria, as this is not covered in D1.5.

Is the job fracture-critical?

Hg
Parent - - By jaws (*) Date 10-08-2009 18:22
Yes material is fine grain killed and possibly TMCP
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 10-08-2009 18:23
But the members--are they designated fracture-critical?

Hg
Parent - - By jaws (*) Date 10-08-2009 18:27
Dear HgTX

I dont know but I can be learn. Just I got information about decks. Structure consist of more than 24 decks like a bow design al members internal stifners etc. Have you experienced like this inspection on Bridge project.
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 10-08-2009 18:30
If you're working to D1.5, you need to know whether or not your structure (or components of it) is fracture-critical.  This information should be found on the design drawings, or somewhere in the contract.  This affects material ordering, electrode storage, procedure qualification, inspection, etc.

Hg
Parent - - By jaws (*) Date 10-08-2009 18:33
Ok I will ask it. How fracture affect PA inspection. Is there a some critical inspection point?
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 10-08-2009 18:37
D1.5 doesn't address PA directly, one way or the other.  However, fracture-critical members generally require an extra standard of care, which means that deviations from the code (including the use of PA) should be approached with extra caution.  There are somewhat stricter requirements for qualification of the NDE technicians, extra requirements for keeping records, and extra requriements for cooling times before inspection.

Hg
Parent - - By jaws (*) Date 10-08-2009 18:42
Ok I understand well. Do you know that is there an any going on Bridge project in USA including PA inspection. I mean that I have US visa and I can come easily to find out how it is going on also I was in Houston / TX USA in September. The project very important for us that means it would be a prestige project If we do this right.
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 10-08-2009 18:44
There is a little bit being used on an experimental basis but nothing actually used for final acceptance/rejection on U.S. bridges that I know of.

Hg
Parent - - By jaws (*) Date 10-08-2009 18:50
What method did you use for inspection?
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 10-08-2009 18:53
We generally use the D1.5 methods (for fracture-critical work, both UT and RT).

On one project we did use PA, but only to tell whether there was anything there.  If any indication was found, we reverted to D1.5 methods to evaluate it.

Hg
Parent - - By jaws (*) Date 10-08-2009 19:00
I see thanks for sharing your experience. Do you have example procedure to interpret it about PA.
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 10-08-2009 19:02
No.  As I said, we did not use it for interpretation.

Hg
Parent - By jaws (*) Date 10-08-2009 19:04
Thanks a lot your help and spend the time.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Steel Bridge Inspection with PA /TOFD AWS D1.5