Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Miller Legend
- - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 10-08-2009 17:25
Just picked up an older Miller Legend on  steal but the GFCI keeps triping. It runs and welds great. Looks good but could use a cleaning, but for what I got it for I can get my money back. Anyone have any info on these I  might not be aware of?
Parent - - By Regmanager (**) Date 10-08-2009 17:29
Could be just a weak GFCI. They can go bad after tripping too many times. You didn't say what you are using in the plug. Drill, chop saw? Is it pulling too many amps and thats why it's tripping? If it's just the GFCI you can purchase replacements for them. You can buy them from Miller but there are other sources for them.
Parent - - By Pipeslayer (**) Date 10-08-2009 17:49
Just using a 4" side grinder. I going to see about replacing the GFCI's.
Parent - - By Robert48 (**) Date 10-09-2009 00:30
Those are expensive through lincoln or miller. If you go to an electrical supply they have the same ones for way less than half price.
Parent - By Regmanager (**) Date 10-09-2009 12:16
Robert, Agreed, but in my position I cannot advise anyone to do that. I'm sure you understand.
Parent - By KSellon (****) Date 10-14-2009 16:58
does it trip when using anything else????? Your grinder may have a short in the cord or sticky brushes.
Parent - - By KSellon (****) Date 10-14-2009 16:57
I believe that is a 15amp circuit. If you are using a 14" chop saw and bearing down--it will trip the breaker. And the more it pops the hotter it gets each time and finally it will not reset.

Leviton 5325 at Home depot will replace it..But if you are still doing the same thing you risk burning up something far worse.
Parent - By Regmanager (**) Date 10-14-2009 19:10
You are right K. It's that great minds thing going again! BTW, Miller did offer 20 AMP GFCI options on the Legend and the Bobcats. I rarely see them, but if a customer is tripping breakers all the time with a good tool, I will order the 20's from Miller and safely install them per factory specs.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Miller Legend