Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / REAL Metal Fume Fever
- - By Robert48 (**) Date 10-09-2009 01:23
Let me start by saying I knew better than this but you know how that goes. I went to work today to weld some pipe hangers under a bridge that were not supposed to be hot dip galv. The supplier sent the wrong ones and since this is not realy that critical (only holding one wire in a conduit) I welded them any way. Now I am sitting on the couch in agony with an actualy fever. I have done this before once and this is the same feeling. Only this time I realy have a 102.3 fever. I felt fine when I left work besides I felt like I have been breathing fire all day. Just wanted to know if you are supposed to get a real fever or is it just a name.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-09-2009 01:53
My understanding is that You can get flu like symptoms, fever included. :-(  I never got it Myself, I didn't inhale :-)
Parent - By chris2698 (****) Date 10-09-2009 01:55
one word respirator at all times. I use to not wear one but since I'm welding aluminum I won't grind or strike an arc without one
Parent - - By ronnie taylor (**) Date 10-09-2009 02:03
I had the samething happen to me a few months ago, welding some hangers in some con-x boxes .  Got home an it got worse an worse don't know if i had a fever I was to sick to tell.  DRINK MILK
Parent - - By up-ten (***) Date 10-09-2009 03:16
Maybe, but doesn't H1N1 start out with a fever?
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 10-09-2009 03:31
Smokers always can tell because cigarettes taste sweet. You are getting the symptoms of metal fever. We were always told back in the day to drink milk. Key thing to remember is this IS A DEHYDRATION ISSUE!!!  Drink water and juices (don't want to get an electrolyte imbalance) and drink some more. You will sweat, you will have chills, you may even tremmor (I did).
Probably feel exhausted in the morning but should be OK.
I got it from welding on improperly cleaned hot dipped galvanized and ran a 104 fever. That was in 1976. It NEVER happened again!!!
Parent - - By Robert48 (**) Date 10-09-2009 23:44
I am fine today. I think it was the 7018H4R Flu.
Parent - By up-ten (***) Date 10-10-2009 00:50
Thats good to hear Robert, maybe you can request a better 7018-4U and avoid the 7018-24HR Flu.
Parent - By ross (***) Date 10-09-2009 19:43
Free AWS safety fact sheet on metal fume fever:

http://www.aws.org/technical/facts/FACT-25.pdf

Ross
AWS Marketing
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / REAL Metal Fume Fever