Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / pulse GTAW
- - By aircraft (**) Date 04-18-2002 05:04
I'm looking for publications on the use of pulse GTAW.
I'm very proficient GTAW welder on thicknesses from .010 to .060 on most alloys. The problem I encountered is that a engineer called for a pulse weld on some .016 titaium. He was wanting a small heat effected zone with full penatration. The weld was completed passed X-ray and everyone was happy,,,,,,,except Me. All objectives were met, but the weld did not look pretty. I blame myself for not knowing how to set up the pulse feature. I know what each of the knobs do physically but not how to adjust them for the objective I am trying to achieve.
The Machine is a Miller syncrowave 250DX.
I looking for any publications on the ins and outs of pulse GTAW or am I just doomed to hours of playing with it until I can figure it out myself.
Parent - By DGXL (***) Date 04-18-2002 14:59
Miller's Gas Tungsten Arc Welding book is just what your looking for. Technique, equipment, fundamentals, trouble shooting, etc., it's all there. The engineer was also right about the extent of the HAZ with a pulsed arc. Once you get the pulsing parameters down for your specific application, the weld appearance will improve.

Your not doomed - try to find others who have used GTAW-P, there's lot's of help out there. I used to repair the leading edges of titanium turbine blades for aircraft engines using GTAW-P. It was the best way to build up the fine edge without destroying the part and the HAZ was kept to a minimum. Buy the Miller book. I had to learn without any text references, take advantage of whats out there.
Parent - By airweld (**) Date 04-18-2002 18:11
I have the Miller GTAW book and the sum total of pulse info is on page 14, most of which you already know. I have also been looking for useful info on pulse because I recently got a Lincoln V205-T AC/DC machine that has the ability to tweak all the arc parameters. I think that what we are looking for only comes from personal experience, which means getting next to someone who will share what they know, for each particular application, or figuring it out ourselves. Good luck, Scott.
Parent - By jd369 (**) Date 04-19-2002 12:07
There was an interesting report published in the early 90's by Abington Publishing. It's titled"Pulsed Arc Welding" and is written by Eur Ing J A Street,BA, CEng, SenMWeldI. It is a good report with a lot of information.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / pulse GTAW