Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / AWS 17.1 Class
- - By SammyShine (**) Date 10-09-2009 20:06
The Class A Inspection states 8.66.4.1 Class A Inspection (for structual welds only)
Does this mean that the inspection only applies to Structual Welds OR That all Class A welds are structual?
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-10-2009 04:20
What is the standard or code you are reading from? I mean we need more background info to address your query better - CAPECHE??? ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By OBEWAN (***) Date 10-10-2009 05:31
If you are talking about AWS D17.1, any weld can be made class A by the customer or designer.  All welds that might cause loss of aircraft are supposed to be made class A.  I am not familiar with the paragraph you cited and I don't have my code book in front of me, but from what you stated, my first guess would be that that particular paragraph applied to structural welds.  The weld class is always supposed to be stated in the weld symbol and it is put there by the design authority with customer approval and/or agreement.
Parent - - By Ringo (***) Date 10-14-2009 14:53
It's actually 8.6.4.1,and class A require the most stringent inspection requirements,regardless of structure or pipe.
Parent - By SammyShine (**) Date 10-15-2009 04:15
Thank all of you that replied. I did mistype the code paragraph incorrectly...it is a class "A" weld D17.1 and the inspection will be done correctly. Hope it was quoted into the job.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / AWS 17.1 Class