Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / Links at the bottom of posts
- - By MBSims (****) Date 10-10-2009 21:58
I've noticed several posts that state information or ask questions that seem valid but make no sense.  But the posts have links on the signature line to external websites that must either collect data, install a virus or be spam.  Be careful of these posters.

Ross - is there a way to disable the ability to place a link in the signature line?
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-10-2009 22:43
Don't click on them and report the post. :-)

At the bottom section of the post by "reply" is "report". If the post and poster are "suspect" (obviously) just report it and leave it alone. If it is not legit it will vanish.

jrw159.
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 10-11-2009 21:47
I can disable links on the signatures. Any objections?

Not sure it'll help, though.

Ross
AWS Marketing
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-11-2009 22:28
I am not sure it would help either. I think a little common sense needs to be exercised regardless. I am in a welding forum so I am not likely to click on "baby strollers", "adult diapers", "Nike shoes at a discount", Whanchang Wallets" or "Hibachi Grills".

If it was labeled "welding positioning" or "stainless nipples" ^^ I might get suckered in. LOL

I just report those kind of posts and, sometimes it takes a little while but, the mods take care of the ones that truly need to go.

jrw159
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 10-11-2009 22:47
I'll leave it to the moderators to figure out the best way to deal with it.  I agree the obvious links are easy to catch, but whoever is doing it seems to be coming back to read the response and will learn from their mistakes.  I won't be clicking any links without checking where they go first.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-12-2009 12:21
ross,
I would like that option turned off, then if they(spammers) post links up within the text field, I can delete them without having to bother you about taking the links out of the signature lines.

Guys,
Run your mouse over any of these links that are suspect...don't click, but just look in your address bar to see where this link might be redirecting you.
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 10-12-2009 15:21
Yeah, but are the links actually in the signature or just at the end of the post?

Ross
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-12-2009 15:23
I've been killing the links at the end of the posts, it's when they stick it in the signature that I can't delete it.
Parent - - By ross (***) Date 10-12-2009 15:26
OK, thanks, John. Links and HTML in sigs are now disabled.

Ross
AWS Marketing
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 10-12-2009 15:46
Thanks ross,
If some has a link in their siggy(an legit link to their welding site or something) they can spell it out and if someone wants to go there, they can copy and paste it into their browser...that will save dumbies like me, who like to hear our mouses click without thinking....LOL
Parent - - By HgTX (***) Date 10-12-2009 14:48
A related issue--when you delete a spammer's post, can you also delete the whole followup tree of "OMG, spammer, go away"?  Half the threads that I opened just now because they showed up as having new posts, in the end just had responses to spammers.  I don't think it's particularly useful to keep the followup posts, especially if it's just people griping about the spammer, rather than some specific warning.

Hg
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-23-2009 03:12 Edited 10-23-2009 03:17
Well, we don't contrary to what some may believe, live in a perfect world now do we?

Respectfully,
Henry
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / Links at the bottom of posts