Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ASME IX...TACK WELDER QUAL...QW322
- - By cwi49cwe (*) Date 10-11-2009 12:47
This old man needs some ammunition for next weeks QC meeting, I've spent the last 25+ years with AWS and Railroad codes , now it's Section 9, I have 2007 with "08" amends, the garbage I've managed to clean up in these first few months even surprise me. the senior welder has always taken care of this responsibility, everyone did it their own way, untill now, so it's going to be my last battle before retirement. BUT I need help.......... I remember reading in Section 9 that it does not indorse or sanction " TACK WELDER QUALS", now I can't find it, HELP..... Also, They have a chart on the wall " WELDER QUALIFICATION REPORT ", across the top are all the welders by name and down the left side, by the week are dates going back 5+ years is entered JUST the weld process at their name, that is susposed to show the WELDER QUALS. , " it's in the code, QW322 " says the boss, HELP.... QW322 doesn't interpret that way to me.      one more help needed, I have 7 test plates to go for RT, 304L base with Inco 686cpt ( Specialty Metals ) filler, that is for filler metal welder qualification, HELP... where is " filler metal quals. " identified in the code??????  After what I've read on the FORUM these last 2 years , I appreciate and respect the caliber of individuals out there, THANKS in advance...........
Parent - By jarcher (**) Date 10-11-2009 16:55
There are more qualified people to answer your questions around here, but I'll try to get the ball rolling, bear in mind I don't have Sec IX here at the house, but I do qualify welders to ASME:

1) Tacker qualifications - I am not aware of anywhere in Sec IX this is addressed. If it is addressed by the BAPV code, I would look in the construction codes. Practice across various shops I have worked in was that if tacks are to be removed, no qualification of tackers was required. OTOH, if the tacks were to become part of the weld, as in pipe roots, the tacker had to be fully qualified to the WPS. Some customers specifications call for tackers to be fully qualified.
2) I think a record recording the process(es) the welder uses over the previous six months will meet the requirements of QW 322. The form of the record is not specified, at my present job, welder's punch in on travelers or route sheets that are linked to the prints for the job. If a question arises as to the welders qualification for a particular process, it is possible to go back and examine the route sheets handled and the process called out for every job that welder has done in the last six months. A major pain in the ass if necessary, requiring a lot of hand work because the DB is not set up to spit out a correlation between welders and processes, but this has been signed off by more than one auditing quality engineer. Welders only become disqualified by not welding in a process for six months, very much the same as AWS.
3) Base metals and consequently filler metals are not essential variables in welder qualification. A welder can qualify on P1 and be qualified to weld P1-11, P34, and P43-P46, if memory serves, and it may not but you see the idea. The out here is that the code specifies P1-P11.....and chemically similar material. I don't know what your speciality filler is close to in the P system, but if you browse QW 422 you will most likely find its chemically similar one of the NiCrMo alloys that do have a P number. You may have to run a seperate qualification depending on what qualifications your welders already have and what that P number is, or not.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / ASME IX...TACK WELDER QUAL...QW322