Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / I am new Need help Please
- - By Dave L Date 04-21-2002 14:50

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for this page. I am a newbie and want to start making some small arts and crafts and sword type crafts. I want to pick up a small welder and have a few questions.
Can I use a unit that plugs into the wall for arc welding
3 ga wire and 3/8 bar as well as 16 ga sheet metal? The material I assume I will be using is Mild steel and sheet metal..Can you recommend some inexpensive Arc or would Mig be better? I see lots of cheap unit for less than 100 on ebay but I would rather spend a little more so I can get the job done right!! What would be the minumum voltage and amp out put fot this type of crafts?
thanks again
David
cntrlflr@optonline.net

Parent - - By dee (***) Date 04-22-2002 04:51
Dave
Miller is the brand absolutely every weld supply house in my area stocks. Most critics say Lincoln or Miller but there are other good brands also. Why not peruse their internet sites? I know Miller is millerwelds.com and it will describe various options and help match your needs to various machines. This will answer answer present questions but generate more from you; I am confident someone here will help answer them. The more specific questions are, the easier they are to answer. (the AWS home page should lead you to links to various companies as well)

Why is oxy-acetylene so unpopular? You can use its heat to bend, forge-weld (sometimes- lacking a forge), weld, braze, silver-solder, solder and even color the metal... and I didnt mention cut it as well. Plus, it needs no electrical supply, no UV protective gear, and permits lighter, cooler eye protection.

Regards
D
Parent - By billvanderhoof (****) Date 04-22-2002 05:42
oxy-acetylene is also useful for heat treating, a subject you will get interested in as you find how poorly mild steel performs as cutlery.

Bill
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / I am new Need help Please