Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / best welding school in the south?
- - By zincsvtcobra (*) Date 10-15-2009 02:21
I have been going to welding school for a couple months now and the teach i have has about 30 students and its just 1 teacher and its just a small tech school.  Honestly i not learning as much as should be in my option and was wondering what was the best welding school(want to learn pipe welding) in the south thats able to help the student and by the way im in NW florida!!!!!!!!!

Thanks
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 10-17-2009 02:00
http://www.wecweldinginstitute.com/career.htm

It's in the south but not close to NW Florida.

I'm sure there are others much closer to you but the link is to a school that will get you where you need to be if you want to get into xray pipe welding particularly nuclear and power plant industries.

I hear that there is a pretty long wait to get in.
Parent - - By ronnie taylor (**) Date 10-17-2009 02:08
TULSA HAS A SCHOOL IN FLORIDA NOT SURE WHERE
Parent - By ronnie taylor (**) Date 10-17-2009 02:33
Just found it, it's in jacksonville might be to far away from you. I hear it's a very good school. 
Parent - - By zincsvtcobra (*) Date 10-20-2009 01:55
i went on tulsa's website and gave them my information and a rep is suppose to get ahold of me so i can go into there master welder program!!!!!!!!!  Thanks
Parent - By ronnie taylor (**) Date 10-20-2009 01:58
Your welcome an best of luck.
Parent - By mightymoe (**) Date 10-18-2009 23:34
Greenville Technical College in Greenville, SC has a good pipe welding program. Classes are kept between 12 and 15 students. Fluor also has a training program at the school.
Parent - - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 10-19-2009 01:00
TWS. In Flordia. Prolly the best.
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 10-19-2009 09:49
Tyler 1970
did you go to this school?
Parent - - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 10-19-2009 22:25
no. i met some guy on a job who did. he was fresh out of school and i was impressed of what he could do from getting out of school. maybe it was just how he fell into like some do or what. i dont know
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 10-20-2009 22:48
You should google westinghouse, they are in Rock Hill SC and they will train you for Nuclear work.  It is free but you will have to sign a contract to work for them for a year at 18.00/hr.

http://nuclearstreet.com/blogs/nuclear_power_news/archive/2009/08/14/westinghouse-to-open-new-nuclear-welding-training-centers-1864.aspx
Parent - - By zincsvtcobra (*) Date 10-21-2009 20:17
that dont sound like a bad deal!!!!!
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 11-07-2009 23:28
I agree with pipewelder. I went to school in 98' and back again last year for more. The teachers were night and day. The teacher in 98', great teacher, been welding since the early 70's and think him or him and his brother were on the alaskan pipeline. He was not very interactive, would mostly stand at the front of the shop, spitting his plug in the waste basket, but when asked would help you out.

The teacher I have now, more interactive, always peeking in the booth, well he does on other guys booths, leaves me alone until I come ask for some reason, probably just how I am, super independent. Anyhow, when I've asked for help he was right there. As I said, he constantly checking in on guys, pointing out things. If you feel like you're not getting help I'd talk to the teach first and if he seems to be not so worried talk to your advisor or to the director that you think the class is to large for one teacher. We have about 20 on days and 15 or 16 on nights. We have two teachers. Our main teach is excellent at the stick, worked for a gas company but good with tig and mig. Our second guy is excellent at mig and tig, was nuke certified and all sorts of crazy stuff. I think our main guy said they would hire a second teacher if the class size was 20 or larger. Besides, we're paying for it so you deserve everything you can get and the teacher needs all the tools available.....reasons it don't happen is called politics and sucks for students and teachers.

good luck!!

Shawn
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 10-21-2009 20:53
I hear you on that, If the student wants to really learn they have the facilities. We have some of our AWS Section meetings there and through them have seen and listened to talks on processes that were very interesting.
Parent - By weldhawk71 (**) Date 10-28-2009 19:23
U in Mississippi by chance?
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 10-31-2009 12:52
I would suggest talking wih your instructor and if you feel you are not progressing as fast as you expected, see if he can help. I have very limited time as an instructor but its my opinion that the key the teaching is sparking a sincere interest in the subject. And I fail many times on this !

After 2 months of training (16 hours a week) my students vary in ability from being barely able to make a D1.1 visually acceptable fillet weld vertical with 7018 to being able to root, fill and cap a 3G D1/1 test with acceptable bend test results. As an instructor I wonder if I put more time into the students who appear more interested or pay more attention.

After asking a student to watch the travel angle and arc length 10 or 20 times, the effort to do so becomes greater.

One of the key factors related to welding is WELDING. Are you getting enough ARC TIME ? I have students that burn 20 1/8" 7018s in a 4 hour period, others that burn 50. (1 to 1-/2 minutes per electrdoe depending on amperage is my guess).

How many hours have you been to class and what are you proficient at now (By proficient I mean walk into class, turn on the machine, set machine with one or two electrodes, and make the acceptable weld).

Sorry to ramble but to answer your question, I have no idea except that its the one in which you weld the most.

If you are at the "head of the class" and can no longer progress because the instructor cannot give you anything "NEW" to learn, maybe it is time to move on however I would consider that carefully. If other students are moving ahead, maybe ask them about what they are doing. With 30 people I would think an inadequate instructor would become evident quickly.

Gerald Austin
Iuka, MS
The hunger for knowledge is the only thing that will keep you full. !
Up Topic Welders and Inspectors / Education & Training / best welding school in the south?