Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 test
- - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 10-15-2009 04:33
What test is d1.1? is that the 6gr. i got a call today for my truck and asked if i had it, i told him no. He said they were in a hurry and didnt havt time to test ppl. And whatabout the cost for this test. i may just go do it and call him back.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 10-15-2009 06:11
Tyler,

"What test is D1.1?" You are going to have to call him back and ask him that question. There are many prequalified joints and tests in the D1.1 book covering several joint configurations, materials, processes, consumables and other variables. Then, it could be a procedure that had to be qualified by tests specific to that project.
Parent - By swsweld (****) Date 10-17-2009 03:06
Tyler,
In my experience, when someone refers to a D1.1 test they normally are referring to a SMAW plate test that will qualify you to weld the structural steel on a project.
Most often it will include a 3G (vert)test that qualifies you to weld in the V,F,H positions. Add the 4G (OH) and you will be qualified in all positions. The coupon thickness will determine the thickness of the steel you can weld on the job. 1" plates will give you unlimited thickness range.

As Superflux mentioned there are many other test in D1.1 but the SMAW is the most common IMO.

A local steel fabrication shop in my area (NC) charges 250 for one test and if you take the 3G and 4G it is 200 per test. They provide everything.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / D1.1 test