Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / gas regulators
- - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 04-22-2002 04:50
I have a fixed output gas regulator on my small mig. The pressure gauge (cylinder pressure) does not always read correctly. I plan on replacing this as it makes running out of gas unpredictable. My question is how much to spend on a new regulator. Are most of them adjustable for cfph? Also, are most of the regulators OK for different mixes-75/25,Argon,and Tri-mix? The cylinder on it now is a small 20cu.ft. Would it be unusual to get a larger type M cylinder to save on refills and allow purchase of tri-mix gas. (the suppliers here say that's the minimum size for premium mixes). My workshop is also my garage and the M size tank just looks kinda ominous for home workshop. Is it typical to use this size for a home workshop. The welder sits on a sturdy cart and has chains and a "V" support for what looks like a larger tank. I bought it used and got the 20cu.ft. with it, but it definitely looks as though it could support much more tank and still be stable. What about just chaining the bad boy to the garage wall?
Parent - - By n5uzt (**) Date 04-22-2002 23:47
get a larger size gas cyl. about an 85 cubic foot size it is what is called a W size.
all argon and mix or inert regulators use the same connection.
a cheap regulator runs around 45.00 to around 75.00 for a flowmeter.
argon co2 is the only mix you need tri mix is not going to do much for you at home. most all welding is done with co2 or argon co2 mix
i like a mix of 85 argon 15 co2. and all are adjustable
Parent - - By bzzzzzzzzzz (**) Date 04-23-2002 00:12
Both of the supply companies near me say they don't offer anything but75/25 or straight argon until the "m" size tanks. I was planning on doing some stainless welding so the tri-mix was in my plans. Is it overkill or should I just use 75/25?
Parent - By n5uzt (**) Date 04-23-2002 01:13
you can use straight argon for stainless
if you were bigger you could use a larger cylinder
then i would say to use argon and about 2 or 3 percent co2
most of the smaller size tanks around arkansas at least are all customer owned.
all that is around here in the 85 c f size is co2 or arg co2 mix.
so the best to use is arg co2 mix for steel and straight argon for stainless. tri mix is made for selling not much else.
Parent - By welder_guy2001 (***) Date 04-23-2002 01:09
if I had a garage, I'd get a nice big 280 cu. ft. cylinder and chain it to the wall. if you don't feel like lugging something that heavy (I'm guessing it weighs 150-200 lbs full) back and forth to the gas supplier, get a 165 cu. ft cylinder. the question is, how often do you feel like refilling your empty cylinder? I hate empties, so I'd go with the biggest one I could get.
oh, and don't drain your cylinder pressure down too low...otherwise you risk the chance of air leaking backwards into the cylinder and contaminating it.
I like flowmeters for welding as opposed to a dial regulator. you can set a very accurate flow rate for your specific needs instead of relying on a pressure gauge. also, most welding charts and guide books use cfph rather than psi when refering to gas flow rates.
Parent - - By GRoberts (***) Date 04-23-2002 14:33
If you want to make it easy (shielding gas wise), you could just get CO2, and use flux core electrodes, both carbon and stainless steel. The wire is more expensive, but the gas is cheaper.
Parent - - By IowaBob (*) Date 04-24-2002 00:57
What are the advantages of using CO2 with flux core wire? Sorry for the dumb question.

Bob
Parent - By n5uzt (**) Date 04-24-2002 01:08
not all flux core wires are gas less
some gas less wires even run better with co2.
gas less wires are 3 time the price of solid wires.
co2 is the cheapest gas to use but a lot more splatter.
stainless flux cor wires are not going to run to well on the little 110 volt mach.
Parent - By GRoberts (***) Date 04-24-2002 17:46
Most flux core wires that are designed to use with shielding gas are formulated to use with CO2, or 75% Ar, 25% CO2. The operating characteristics, such as splatter, slag removal, etc. are more dependant on the slag chemistry than shieling gas. For instance, a E71T-1 FCAW wire with an acid slag can run in spray mode with 100% CO2, and have no splatter at all, be self slagging, and have beautiful looking beads, while an E71T-5 electrode with a basic slag can run globular with 100% CO2, and have lots of splatter and hard to remove slag, with rough looking beads, but you might need to use it for the better properties. Of course not all E71T-1 wires run good, and not all E71T-5 wires run bad, it greatly depends on the manufacturers specific flux fomula. The advantages of flux core with CO2 over self-shielding, is more consistant weld metal properties, and less fumes/smoke. Disadvantages are you have to have a bottle with you, and it's no good in a draft.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / gas regulators