Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Anyone have the ICC Welding BOlting Certification??
- - By eekpod (****) Date 10-15-2009 19:33
I just got back from a two day seminar on welding and bolting to prepare for the International Code COunsil prep course for the ICC test. Has anyone taken the test?
Does your project require it?

I am considering taking it, I don't have too but it's only $200 and I'd like the extra cert and experience.  Also I'll have "special inspectors" in my facility for NYC projects so it's what they are required to pass to be a third party inspector so I'd like to know what it took to paas/ fail the test.

Open to thoughts.
Chris
Parent - - By tbigtdav (*) Date 10-22-2009 01:12
Hi Chris,
I took the ICC test for structural bolting and passed on the first go at it. As you may or may not have heard the test is very tricky. The first part of the test is the code all i can say there is to be very familiar with your reference material and know where to find the tables as that test moves you through the aisc very thoroughly. I suggest getting through this part in less than an hour preferably less than 45 minutes if possible. The second part, the plans part is where things get tricky. The advice i can offer on that is do not get flustered if you dont find answers right away. Dont spend alot of time on the hard questions or any of the questions for that matter. Keep track of the ones you skip over and while you are searching for other answers you will probally come across previous answers. Try to move swiftly through the questions so u can have time to go back and review before completing the test. Good luck to you.
Parent - - By eekpod (****) Date 10-22-2009 10:33
Thanks for the info.
You took it on a computer at one of the Pearson Vue facilities right?
Did you have access to the drawings during the entire test, or did you have to wait until you got to the second part until they gave them to you?
I am palnning on taking it in the next month or two, need to review a little more before I take it.
Chris
Parent - - By tbigtdav (*) Date 10-22-2009 18:23
Yes it was a computerized test. You do not get the drawings before you start the test they give them to you after you complete part 1, and once you leave it you cannot go back to it. They did not let me review the drawings at all before the time started for the plans part of the test. Just stay calm and know the material and im sure you will do fine. If you do fail the first time don't take alot of time taking it again. I was advised that if i do fail take it asap while the materials still fresh.Good Luck to you on this adventure.
Parent - By eekpod (****) Date 10-22-2009 18:52
thanks, I'll keep you posted.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Anyone have the ICC Welding BOlting Certification??