Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / HOW IN THE WORLD!!!!!!
- - By ronnie taylor (**) Date 10-18-2009 16:30
JUST WONDERING HOW IN THE WORLD THIS MUCH PIPE COULD BE INSTALLED WITH OUT SOMEBODY SAYING, STOP!!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2Ugzu1vmOE
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-18-2009 17:32 Edited 10-18-2009 17:37
I read you loud and clear Ronnie!!! That is some really awful, shoddy workmanship if you ask me!!! I was cringing each time they went close up on some, if not most of of those welds also!!! What a mess!!! Most of the students I've trained produced better work than that!!!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 10-18-2009 17:38
Looks like some re-work had to be done.

Parent - - By chris2698 (****) Date 10-18-2009 20:30
yeah I seen that video and it use to remind me of someone I use to work with well his welds looked ok after sandblasting the stainless pipe but he would weld so dam hot. I can remember a time walking by him and the weld was solid black meaning of course to hot there was no color what so ever in his weld, each side of the weld the pipe was sunk in, not good at all. It sure made me feel better when the fitter would say thank you Chris for welding it because he wouldn't have to go back and wash my stuff to straighten it back out. You just can't weld stainless that dam hot. Sure the guy was fast but the welds were black like in the picture. I sure use to hate having to go fix that guys screw ups man it was agravating but at the same time i learned from his mistakes so it was all a learning experience
Parent - By Johnyutah (**) Date 10-19-2009 02:13
I'm assuming that this was one of those that went out to bid and when the contractor took the low ball the second bidder just waited then made all his money plus some on the rework. I love those jobs I have picked up a couple in the last few weeks it sucks fixing some hacks work but the money is good time and materials I love those two words.
Parent - By pipehead (***) Date 10-19-2009 02:29
That is terrible.....but I want to know is how did someone not catch this before it got that far. You would think someone like the inspector, or QC, or job super would have put a stop to that.

And if the welds aren't bad enough the little short pieces before the fiittings that is a disgrace that that person would call themselves a welder!!!!

All I can say Is one always learns from someone elses mistakes if not their own......So always take pride and strive for perfect because it does get noticed!!!
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 10-20-2009 00:56
The welds look bad. However what is the process and what is the code.
I have been in a cheese enzyme plant that everything was stainless but nothing was built to code. The welds were made with SMAW and looked a lot like this. They were not heated and pressure was 25 pounds. There were weld ells on one end of a pipe and socket welds on the other. Some pipes were held together with roustabout clamps. The only thing square a level in the place was the walls. But it worked and nothing leaked. I was there on a tank inspection so I did not care about the piping welds. Place is still together and has been running for over 15 years.
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 10-20-2009 05:06
A lot of industrial piping may not necessarily fall under any code or regulation whatsoever except what the client may want to impose upon the work.  I see a lot of stuff like this in industrial piping/large AC piping  (I am always looking wherever I am)....just enough to get it in there and get out, whatever happens in between apparently makes no diff.  Sad.

True with no codes or at least some specs to follow and be enforced I rekon if it holds a minimum of pressure and the customer is WILLING to take it...well....

But who the hell fitted all that???  BOZO and a bad bottle of bourbon or what???    The welds were just plain awful...by the looks of the outside I can make great guesses as to whats inside.  What a waste of material!

The good side of this is outfits like that will ensure that I (any good welder/fitter/contractor) will always have work in one form or another.

Tommy
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 10-20-2009 23:29
very true, I worked at outfits that weren't code shops. lots of production shops don't fall under the umbrella of code work OR no one calls them out on it as the average consumer doesn't know anything about welding.

For instance things like chairs, desks and tables are generally not welded to code.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / HOW IN THE WORLD!!!!!!