Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / 6G Welder application
- - By Le Doan Binh Date 10-19-2009 01:33 Edited 10-19-2009 02:00
Can 6G qualified welder weld on Tee-Butt Joint (one side welding) as per AWS D1.1?
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 10-28-2009 11:42 Edited 10-28-2009 11:46
No to weld without backing or backquouging they will need to be 6GR Qualified
Check Clause 4.26 (5)
Hope this helps more than hurts
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-28-2009 12:03
Our 6G welder diddn't tell us if he is 6G qualified with or without backing...

Can't one be open root from one side qualified by simply having a PQR made to back it?

I don't uderstand the 6GR mandate..

Can't open roots without backing or backgouging be done on plate as well as long as the procedure is qualified per section 4?

Would an open root plate procedure qualified by section 4 not also do the trick here?
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 10-28-2009 12:43 Edited 10-28-2009 12:46
Le Doan Binh Can 6G qualified welder weld on Tee-Butt Joint (one side welding) as per AWS D1.1?
I have been wrong before, but doesn't Tee-Butt Joint refer to a Tubular configuration?
Clause 4.26 CJP Groove Welds for Tubular Connections Welder or welding operator qualification tests shall use the following details.
Clause 4.26 (5)
Clause 4.26 (6)
and last but not least 4.26.1
6G  in Table 4.10 Note J
Hope this helps more than hurts
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-28-2009 14:16
"doesn't Tee-Butt Joint refer to a Tubular configuration?"

Prolly does

But I was looking at A3.0  Fig. 6E

That one could be plate or tube.... I think.   It for sure won't be found in D1.1 Prequailfied joints  :)

and we still don't know if Le Doan's 6G qualification is open root or with backing/gouge, which might clear things up also.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-28-2009 15:07 Edited 10-28-2009 15:17
SEMANTICS ONCE AGAIN CUNFUSION CAUSES ARTICLE FOR THIS!!! ;) :) :)

ALL STARTS POSTER NOT HAS DOES OF COMMAND WHEN LANGUAGE ENGLISH THIS - CAPECHE??? :) :) :)

Note to original poster: Please clarify your query by attaching a detailed drawing of the joint in question, or describe the two mating base metal structural shapes in order to know whether or not you are talking about plate to plate, or pipe to plate because the more information given in your initial query, the less possibility of confusion such as what has occurred based on the two correct answers that were given to you, and I wrote it this way to intentionally confuse you just to let you know what it's like when articulation is nonexistent in one's mind when asking a question!!! ;0

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 10-28-2009 15:25
I don't have that book Lawrence.
I just know that while building a 200 foot single span pedestrian walkway made of 12" sq. HSS, I didn't want to do the backing bar thing, and backgouging was not possible. The only option was 6GR Qualified.
And Henry you are so right I should of never started the answer without clarification of the subject. LoL
Great Day to Both of You
Marshall
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-28-2009 15:43
Hey Marshall,

I'm enjoying the thread and hoping some of the more code savy folks will offer opinions.

Trying myself to communicate my responses in the form of a question because I'm unsure myself.

I think you are correct that the 6GR would do the trick.  But am also wondering if some other qual might also do.

But as Henry boldly told us... We don't know everything yet so can't give anything definitive to the original poster.

I'm just wondering if an open root butt joint qualified by section 4 would also qualify for a an open root Tee.
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 10-28-2009 17:55 Edited 10-28-2009 18:00
Alright Lawrence I have had my lunch and can think about things other than food again. LoL
I found in my AWS D1.1/2008
4.9 CJP Groove welds for nontubular Connections gives me the testing requirements for qualifying in Table 4.2(1) and sending me to Figures 4.9-4.11 for appropriate test plate.
Table 4.2(1) has two notes attached for test on plate (a) & (b)
(b) see figures 4.10 and 4.11 for test plates.
Both of these figures have note 1 which basically says the groove configuration shown is for illustration only. The  Groove shape tested shall conform to the production groove shape that is being qualified.
Lawrence I am by no means that code savvy, I just like the practice and want to be correct when I am being visited by some who may be code geeks.LoL
But to the wonderings you mentioned at the end, the code reads to me that it would have to be qualified in the tee configuration and the welder qualifying the wps would be qualified.
So I guess my answer would be no they would have to qualify to the tee configuration.
Thanks for the test, maybe some code savvy person will give us the correct answer so that we can correct our mistakes.
Have a Great Day I have 2 more hours and then mine will be Great.
Respectfully
Marshall
Parent - By Duke (***) Date 10-28-2009 21:42
"Code Geeks?"
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / 6G Welder application