Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / AWS A5.14 ERNiCr-3
- - By robgreg1978 (**) Date 10-20-2009 05:45
HELLO ALL. WHEN I GOT TO WORK TONIGHT I WAS TOLD BY MY DAYSHIFT QC MANAGER THAT HE NEEDED A P-NO FOR AWS A5.14 ERNiCr-3. THIS IS MY FIRST QC JOB AND I HAVE BEEN LOOKING THROUGH THE ASME SECTION IX CODE BOOK (WHICH IS THE ONLY ONE WE HAVE HERE). I CAN NOT FIND ANYTHING ON THIS ROD. DO I NEED MORE INFO SUCH AS MATERIAL BEING WELDED. THANKS FOR ANY INFO ON THIS SUBJECT
Parent - - By jarcher (**) Date 10-20-2009 06:18
The welding wire itself will not have a P number, the base metals it welds will. Look here:

http://www.specialmetalswelding.com/products/datash/fm82.pdf
http://process-equipment.globalspec.com/datasheets/3022/ESABWelding/ABF3B1CA-F788-4AAE-8B84-3F854D3E9162

Your P numbers will correspond to Inconel 600 and Incolloy 800 as listed in QW 422. The F number of the wire is given in the first reference above, and the A number should be in in the table in chapter 4 of Sec IX. A numbers are about the chemical composition of the filler.
Parent - By robgreg1978 (**) Date 10-20-2009 06:38
thanks for the info. I looked through the qw-422 and noticed evrything was refrenced to material and not filler metal. I have the MTR on the filler metal with the chemical composition. that is what he handed me and told me he could not find a p-no for, but nothing on what he was going to weld, if it was similar metals or disimilar or anything. he doesn't like to give out alot of info at shift change. thanks alot. I will probably have more questions down the road.
Parent - - By dlmann (**) Date 10-20-2009 09:37
Maybe he meant F-No. for the filler metal.  Just in case he did its, F-43,  ASME IX 2007, QW-432.
Regards, Donnie Mann
Parent - - By robgreg1978 (**) Date 10-20-2009 11:19
thanks again i will know in about an hour what he wanted. at least i found out a little info. I think he is wanting to qualify a welder on p-8 to p-5a 304 to  2 1/4 cr. I found some notes that look like we are going to weld a temp. indicator to a furnace tube.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-20-2009 12:09
If it's your first job maybe you were getting a run around by the boss while he watched you and ate doughnuts.

I was once sent all around a navy base in search of an  "A.S.H Tray"  They sent me to the machine shop, who sent me to the hydraulic shop, who sent me to the NDT lab who finally sent me to the division chief and DO.  Nobody cracked a smile until I was out the door and on my way to my next tormentor.

Navy.. Good times.
Parent - - By robgreg1978 (**) Date 10-20-2009 13:30
well during my roll over he informed that when we get some slack time he would show me how to look up p-no's on filler metal. I don't know what he is going to show me , but im ready to find out
Parent - - By jon20013 (*****) Date 10-21-2009 01:01
He's definately trying to get a laugh or just make you study.  Filler metals aren't assigned P-Numbers, base metals are. 

Fillers will have F and A Numbers.  Base metals will have P Numbers and Group Numbers.  (S Numbers have now disappeared).
Parent - By robgreg1978 (**) Date 10-21-2009 04:10
Well he did not have much to say about it today. I have been working for this company 12 years, the last five as a field supervisor. This is his First job with us. I don't think he is trying to mess with me maybe he is just alittle confussed and don't want to tell me he was wrong??? I'm listening to what he says most of the time , but I like to ask someone else if I think it doesn't sound right. I am the only one on nights and he is the only one on days on this job so most of the time if I don't know i just have to go with it untill I can verify that it is not correct. thanks again
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 10-21-2009 23:19
For P-Numbers on base metal:  http://www.pnumbers.com/

For F-Numbers and A-Numbers on welding wire and electrodes:  http://www.fnumbers.com/

The database is maintained by Mike Bernasek, who is a member of the Section IX Subgroup on Materials, so it is always current.
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 10-23-2009 12:55
Marty,
I think I'm missing something here. I took a random example (SA-335 as a whole and SA-387 Grade 91) and run it down the table and it wasn't listed.
Is there something I'm overlooking?
Parent - By MBSims (****) Date 10-24-2009 02:32
You may need to change the Product Form to "All".  The default is "Plate" for some reason.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / AWS A5.14 ERNiCr-3