Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / hourly rate for side jobs?
- - By lastnline (*) Date 10-20-2009 15:45
was wondering what some of you other guys charge for side jobs when running your rig? not something i normally do but things are so dang slow that i have started getting calls from people and would like some input on how to figure whats right to charge.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 10-20-2009 16:15
The same as a regular Job. My consumables are not cheaper on side jobs. Why should my rate be ? $65.00 per/hr. 5 hour minimum
Parent - By lastnline (*) Date 10-20-2009 17:21
thats what i have been charging. its just damn hard to make some people understand what it costs to run a rig. some of the small jobs i have had to turn down and then a few days later i see another welder doin the job and just dont see how they can do it cheaper.
Parent - By low_hydrogen (**) Date 10-20-2009 17:49
Minimum 65 an hour.  Let the scabs do the little jobs for less.  Some guys are just shopping around for the best deal,  You don't want to do work for those type of people any way.

Anything worth doing is worth doing right.  And you get what you pay for.   Some guys are running around workin for 40 or less and those guys won't be around long and their work speaks for it's self.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-21-2009 00:40
lastnline,

For me, there is no such thing as a 'side job' for a professional who does the same work for a living as someone wants him to do on the 'side'.  Work is work and I get paid the same for it.  I have the same overhead rather at my shop where I have rent, more equipment, office, etc or out in the field with only my welder and truck (shop still has to be paid for). 

I am not 'rigged out'.  I mainly work the shop.  We also go out portable for equipment repairs, structural, gate installs, etc.  My rate is the same, in our area that comes to $75/hr.  You might consider lowering the minimum from what was previously mentioned.  I start at an $80 minimum.  That includes travel within our local area and 1/2 hr of work.  Past that it goes to $75/hr. 

You could easily go $100 minimum including 1 hr of work with travel.  Then switch to your hourly.  You may get some jobs you have been missing out on.

Just my two tin pennies worth.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By NWPAwelder (**) Date 10-21-2009 12:54
I am also going through the same process of figuring out rates for the area in which I live. (PA) Seems a lot of guys around here are anywhere from $40/hr and up. I know this is rock bottom low and doesn't allow for very much profit margin...if any. I am just not sure how to get the higher rate when the market in this area doesnt seem to bear it and you are trying to get established. Anyone else from the Mid-atlantic/Northeast part of the country care to chime in.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-21-2009 19:41
Now, some other things came to mind as I thought about this. 

In my area we have to have a business license for where we operate out of and sometimes the city where we are doing business in.  We also have to have a Registrar of Contractors License that is part of State control.  Then there is bonding.   You might want to be careful about these 'side' jobs if they are very big.  You might find they cost you more than they are worth.  I say this because I know many of you are pipeline, rig, and other various rigged out welders that normally don't do this kind of work in your local home area.  Be Careful.

That doesn't mean don't do it, just watch your back.

So, another point.  Because you don't have this kind of overhead, nor a shop facility to maintain, you could probably justify working cheaper than the $75 that I mentioned for me, and even the $65 mentioned by others.  BUT, don't give your experience, knowledge, overhead, and skills away.  You are worth more than that, especially on the jobs you normally do.  And, if you go too cheap, you ruin the market for those of us who make our living day in and day out jumping through our own hoops and trying to make a living.  The overhead for facilities, equipment, insurance, bonding, incorporation, Registrar, city licenses, certifications, updates for the city building authority, office staff, code books, and so much more make our job just as difficult as yours, only in different ways.

The cheap, backyard mechanics, with no insurance, licenses, etc are there bothering our work load as well.  We all have guys who try to cut in without any of the proper preparation to really do the job right.  Don't be part of the problem.  We are all hungry and trying to get any work we can.  We have to stick together or we will all fail.  When you work too cheap, eventually it will catch up with you.  It either means you will get caught without everything required for the work, OR, you will not be able to renew all those needed items when they come due even though you were able to put food on the table today.

Hope I said this in an informative and non offensive manner.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 10-21-2009 20:23
Well said Brent.
Unfortunately in these tough times, I know of many that are "branching" out and supplementing their Unenjoyment checks by working at anything for cash on the barrel.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-21-2009 20:33
I know, and I don't blame them.  They just need to be careful.  In my area, and state, there are some pretty nasty fines associated with not having all the right paperwork.  We all have our areas of expertise.  Many rig and pipeline guys could do my work just fine as to quality of work, but they need to be careful they don't get caught without their 'State Authorized Work Permit' Cards, if you know what I mean.

Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By strother (***) Date 10-21-2009 23:22
Its not a side job unless it pays cash and I'm not putting off regular customers to do it, and then I would still figure it pretty close to my regular rate or you will be covered up with work that you are not making any money on .
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 10-22-2009 00:01
"Its not a side job unless it pays cash"

Yea, I learned my lesson on side jobs when I ended up with 2 cases of Milwaulkees Best.
Parent - - By strother (***) Date 10-22-2009 00:35
Yeah I've got a mechanic buddy that thinks a 30 pack of Natural Light should get him a half a day worth of welding!
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-22-2009 00:46
You probably don't even have one of those "WILL WELD FOR BEER" bumper stickers, or do You? :-)
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 10-22-2009 02:09
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 10-22-2009 01:53
What torqued me off was, he knew I drank Corona at the time! Always get all your cards on the table B4 any job starts
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 10-22-2009 01:35
If you consider it a side job don't expect to get paid normal going professional rates.  Maybe not paid at all or hot check so be sure to specify up front how they will pay not offer you barters or excuses.  This is just humor but I really do have a sign in my shop like this :)

Labor Rates Per Hour

IF YOU WATCH US.   $55.00

IF YOU GIVE US ADVICE.  $65.00

IF YOU HELP OR ASSIST US.   $85.00

IF YOU WORKED ON IT BEFORE.   $105.00

IF YOU BOUGHT IT IN CHINA WE AIN'T TOUCHIN IT ! 
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 10-22-2009 01:56
I had a farmer tell me today that he WASNT paying 65 per hour...

I quickly asked him what he paid the plumber to fix his plumbing last week. He said 75 per hour with 4 hour minimum
I asked what he was payin the electriction to wire his new shop...he said 80 per  hour.

I told him that neither one showed up with the amount of tools that i did and a 10,000 welding machine in their 1984 chevy van.
An electriction and plumber wore their tools on their belt. I told him that the wore out van the electriction drove couldnt carry all the tools that i carried.
Furthermore! i told him that he didnt sqabble paying his attorney 150 per hour to take care of any of his divorce! 65 an hour is damn cheap!!!
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 10-22-2009 02:01
Amen to that Brother!
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 10-22-2009 02:17
Most welders that aren't mechanics have to be told basically the same thing of why it cost so much per hour to fix this or that on their welder or truck.  But the yuppie has to be told how much to fix their car and just pays and never argues ?  Farmers and welders are kind of like pigs, roll them in the mud and after a while they kind of like it.  :)
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 10-22-2009 11:01
You are comparing welders to pigs are you? LOL
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 10-22-2009 22:55
Nope I'm just saying they ALL seem to whine and squeal lol :)
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 10-22-2009 23:52
just kidding
Parent - - By dash Date 10-23-2009 01:05
I charge 75.00 an hr I'm based in East TN like all the rest have said very expensive to tool up and maintain my equipment.  I charge up to 100.00 an hr if I have to go into or close to a rough area of town.  I recently had to repair metal stairs at a rental unit lady complained about my rate I told her to call around and try for a cheaper price.  She called me back a week later cause no one would show up to look at the repair.  I made 600.00 on that job had to turn around and replace a water pump on my welder which set me back 237.00. I would have only made around 80 bucks minus the diesel I would have had to replace at 40.00 an hour.  You never know what will tear up or break so stick to the higher price or your gonna be out of business. 
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 10-23-2009 02:08
GOOD POINT!
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 10-23-2009 08:48 Edited 10-23-2009 09:14
no offense fellas.....I have not read the whole thread which I WILL, but I did read 5hr minumum,,,,RIGHT???????   Wow it must be busy as **** where you are dude!!!!!!!    Charge driving time/job/driving back  with a good enough cushion for consumables and materials are of course separate.....$65-75 is reasonable/profitable for where I am, Arkansas.   But a 5 hr minimum and you are getting all the work you can stand????  Where the hell is that at??  you bet I would like to show up.    I dunno maybe I am an idiot....there where bad days when I would do 5-6-7-8 different jobs in one damm day on a rig....Jeez thats 24+ hours of charges out of daylight till a while after dark.....a rig is a freaking gold mine    let me quit my job and jump back in right now.   Pipeliners are stupid, on call rigs are where the cash is!!!!!!    

No, welding services with a GREAT reputation and fair charges make some pretty good money for a LONG time.   Just an opinion, sorry for the rant,,,just struck me as kinda extraordinaire......maybe I don't know jack, you be the judge, won't change a thing for me.  

welderbrent   I really like your post because I know where your coming from.   In the US welding in general is not regulated or controlled...therefore you have to contend with jacklegs....yep they create work in the form of rework and do nothing but help reputable tradesman in there endeavors.   But at the same time they really can hurt your business in the short term due to ridiculous, poorly informed, desperate pricing.  Me and one of my most admired "Mentors" fought hard for state legislation regulating the welding industry in general, not just service shops....alas to no avail because we did not have the money to spend upon"""advertising"""  to properly campaign to legislators nor the money for the legal representation to make a serious effort.  I am very jealous of the regulations imposed upon the plumbing and electrical industry as far as in relation to consumer vs. industrial work.  It's so well done you are almost guaranteed to pull in a great income in either industry provided you are servicing an end consumer.  Also there are plenty of safeguards in place to ensure the field cannot become overpopulated vs. specific amounts of time.    But most importantly  there are regulations that ensure of your qualifications, not your ethics, but your qualifications to do the job.  They knew what they were doing and unfortunately welders missed the boat.  I am no proponent of Fed. regulation, but properly lobbied it can be highly profitable endeavor for any industry.

Oh well I won't bore yall with my twisted way of thinking any more on the subject.
Best regards to all
TOmmy
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 10-23-2009 09:25
[deleted]
Parent - - By hillbilly (**) Date 10-23-2009 10:43
If you are going to be broke, atleast don't be tired and broke! Fuel, consumables, etc do not cost any less on a side job. So I wouldn't cut my own throat just to bid/get a job. I understand its tough times for all, but supply houses and gas stations do not cut you a break when its tough times either.
Parent - By Johnyutah (**) Date 10-23-2009 13:36
If everyone would stand there ground and charge there minimum and at least 65 per hour soon enough people would stop whining about rates. And also any good rig cost about 15 to 20k from the cab back and even a used truck thats reliable cost about the same that all has to be paid off and turning a profit before it is wore out. My point is this when they whine tell them you know what your doing and you don't need the practice if they don't like it most likely you will go back and fix some cut throat hacks work.
Parent - - By shorthood2006 (****) Date 10-23-2009 19:43
TOMMY! I hope this doesnt turn into a pissing match, but calling pipeliners "stupid" in this forum will get your tires cut! I worked on the pipeline right here close to the house making 2750-3000 per week for 6 months straight... I got paid every friday. On the same hand, i worked a year ago for Chaparral Energy (drilling rig) for 2 months on an "on call basis". I invoiced them for over $12grand in labor....I had to wait 160 days to get paid.   So, the comment you make towards the "on call "welder doesnt always apply. I have been in this business for 20 years and make more on bid jobs than i do on hourly jobs. JMO
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 10-24-2009 00:00
Darren. TO LATE !   We are off to a PISSIN MATCH !
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 10-23-2009 23:57 Edited 10-23-2009 23:59
Well, Since I posted about the 5 hour minimum, I will respond. I do all types of work. Drilling rigs, D.O.T. jobs (which I am on now) Pipe Etc....... I commonly get call to a Rig at 3am. Here is an example of the last @ Rig calls I made. Call #1 12:45am Washout on a stand pipe. 2 miles from my house. When I arrived I was instructed by the Pusher to Plug Weld the pinhole in the Pipe so they could get back online. I burnt 2 - 3/32 7018 Rods. Job Complete ! How much should I have charged ? Call # 2 Same Rig 7am. 2 miles away. Rough cut 5inch pipe. ONE CUT ! No measureing, No Grinding. Job complete ! How much should I charge ? I SAY, I should charge a minimum of 5 hrs. It has worked for me for years so I see no need to change it now. And yes, I have plenty of work. I NEVER turn any away. However, there are times when I will send someone else to do the Job. I am on Galveston Island right now Riding my Bikes and setting in a hotel that someone else is paying for. I was called to be here on Weds. They were not ready. SO..... I charge for my travel time plus 9hrs per day while I wait. Is that also wrong. I dont think so. They pay it.
Parent - By okwelder82 (***) Date 10-24-2009 00:11
Jobs like that on a drilling rig is where you can make a lot of money. I got called out one night to a rig they were getting ready to move. They had a gear that wouldnt come off that needed pulled. I showed up on location unrolled my torch hose heated the gear for 5 min or so and was done and charged 5 hrs for my trouble. Then there are other nights where you get to sit there all night waiting for them to get things ready, but there again your still getting paid.
Parent - By strother (***) Date 10-24-2009 02:45
If your working for a company that is losing lots of $$$$ every minute they are down then 5 hr. min. is fair . I work in shop and onsite if go to a job thats 30 minutes away work for 30 minutes listen to the customer whine, B.S.or talk about deer hunting for 30 minutes drive back and make sure the guys at the shop are still on track I've lost 1/2 a day and somebody has to pay for it
Parent - - By FixaLinc (****) Date 10-23-2009 20:24
I know lol.  I'm one of those farmers that had to learn to fix everything could myself because couldn't afford to pay someone else to do it just like you guys do. 
Parent - - By okwelder82 (***) Date 10-23-2009 23:55
I agree with Shorthood, Its not a wise Idea to be badmouthing pipeliners on this forum. While I agree that you can make a lot of money chasing drilling rigs and being "on call" you can make just as much or more pipelining and not get the phone calls at 2 or 3 in the morning cause the rig is broke down.
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 10-24-2009 05:53
Shorthood , Cactus and to everyone else......

I was being sarcastic   sorry it did not come across well...and yea I was being mouthy too.  I don't have a bad word for anybody pipelining or rig working whatsoever. It can be hard work and you do earn your money.   I don't do that kinda work for a living and have not in a long time.   Back when I did there was no way we could get away with minimums that high or we probably would have starved.  We ran a two hour minimum to get in the truck whether it was a 10 minute or 10 hour job.    Maybe because of the area...course there was no drilling rigs going on around here....mostly heavy equip repair and construction.... but sometimes it was just small stuff and job hopping all day long because that is all there was if you wanted to make any money that day.  We did charge from the minute you got in the truck to the minute you got back (unless you had to go to another job from there).    

If you guys are staying that busy and they are paying it then why not!!   So I will shut up about it.  You guys just need to know I did not mean or intend nothing bad by what I said...I just said it stupid.

Tommy  
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-24-2009 09:12
A buddy once told me in a text message that "sarcasm does not work while texting", a response he gave to me after one of my sarcastic messages.

We have the same problem around here. Us legal, well professional guys with insurance, business lic. and so on have to contend with the folks who do it after they're employee day job and so on. A friend of mine and I both have been beat out on bids, big jobs by folks who seemingly don't want to make any money. He had a job for 600ft of handrail through rock, plus a big section shaped in a large circle, he bid it for $40-45k or so. He got beat by a bid for $23k, that's $38/foot. Another job was him and I were gonna go in and do it together(time crunch and needed to get done quick). We bid out a max price for labor only as the client said he would buy all the materials, core drilling 24 holes and putting up 150 feet of round handrail, built onsite, three rail. We got beat on that one, guy they got to do it was $33/ft including materials. I hear lots of chatter about $60/ft on basic handrail, usually get beat when I bid it out like that. Have one guy that really likes my work and pays that amount, well actually more than that.

My rate around here is $55/hour and works out well when folks are not pissin' and moanin' and understand that I'm in businesss to make money, or a profit, be stupid if I did'nt right?
Parent - By lastnline (*) Date 10-25-2009 03:10
man my laptop picked up a nasty virus and i had to buy a new one and i log back on here and see my little post has explode! lol. well thankfully after a couple of months off i have finally landed a single hand job in a shop close to the house and maybe i wont have to worry with the "side jobs" for now. i wont be running my truck but at least i will be paying the bills. hell i will be making 30 an hour single hand and thats a whole lot better than the 38 an hour a company in houston told me they were paying for rigs the other day! fricking pittiful i tell ya!
Parent - By FixaLinc (****) Date 10-25-2009 04:02
I didn't say that just the whining & squealing now we got pissin in the wind too lol.  Every waterback and his chiwawa got a welder making it even more of a dog eat dog world out there. 
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / hourly rate for side jobs?