Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Bleed off rate of Liquid Argon?
- - By Metarinka (****) Date 10-20-2009 19:48
assuming roughly room temperature, anyone know how long it takes for a dewar of liquid argon to completely boil off?

a piece of ice or something got stuck in the blow off valve and over the weekend we had an entirely new tank empty. Now thats an extreme case, but liquid argon costs money and we do welding in sections so it could be as much as 1-2 weeks between periods of heavy use.

any rough guess?
Parent - By paul prill (*) Date 10-20-2009 20:05
Mine would boil off over a weekend, not empty the tank but would lose some, we had the welding supplier set us up with a 12 pack cradle, like an oxygen cradle, problem solved.
Parent - - By ravi theCobra (**) Date 10-21-2009 15:55
Your Argon bleed off  should be no more than  2 %  per day (24 hours )

We  had  both liquid argons and  liquid oxygens  and  we had them lasting in our  shop  for up to  2 months -

When you have appropriate usage  these can last a very long  time  -
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 10-22-2009 12:57
I got rid of the liquid and went back to 12 packs because we would loose more than we used. Not all to evaporation but a large portion of it.

Another issue was after Katrina liquid was rationed by our vendor at that was the last straw.

We do not loose any to bleed off now just careless ness and there always plenty of that.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-22-2009 14:01
When we are running 18 GTAW booths from 8am-9pm we use liquid argon because it is cheaper and less trouble.

Same with 02 when we are running track burners day and night.

When we are not furiously consuming gas we go back to the packs of bottles.
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-23-2009 03:12
What is the capacity in cubic feet of those portable liquid cylinders?
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-23-2009 12:02
Dave

I gotta check with the supplier on that..  :)
Parent - By Metarinka (****) Date 10-23-2009 19:01
good question it must be pretty high, about as tall and big as 2 55 gallon drums stacked (but they are evacuated in the middle and insulated)

next time my supplier is around I'll ask him
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Bleed off rate of Liquid Argon?