Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / AWS CWI exam Part B Practical
- - By zambrota (**) Date 10-20-2009 22:27
Next week is my AWS CWI exam. I'd like to ask inspectors who recently passed this exam a few questions regarding Practical part:

1) How you mark plastic replicas for inspection (for example: what's the fillet weld size or undercut at distance 3½" from the left side of sample "B"). Are you allowed to scribe on test piece?

2) Do you consider scratches on replicas as discontinuites?

3) Do you measure defects and porosity size by machinist rule only?

4) What's the definition of corner crack on bending test sample (is it a crack length on convex surface or corner side of sample or on both of them?)

5) If it's fillet weld size between 3/4" and 7/8" gauges how do you determine the actual size (guess or take the closest downsize measurement?)

6) Any trick how to save time during measurement?

Come on !!! Must be some experts out there. I need your assistance.

Thanks a lot
Parent - By supermoto (***) Date 10-20-2009 23:17
Don't recall being able to scribe the samples.

I didn't see any sratches on mine but I wouldn't consider them discontinuities.

You can use any means of device to measure the porosity, I recall using a set of calipers.

Can't explain a good way of describing a corner crack.

If the you have an option of a 3/4, 1/2, 5/16 or 7/8 weld as an answer and the weld doesn't touch the 7/8 than it would be a 3/4 fillet.

Don't rush it but don't overthink anything either.  Just be familiar with that part B specs and you will do fine.
Parent - By Mikeqc1 (****) Date 10-20-2009 23:57
just dont over think it
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 10-21-2009 01:29
That is a lot of questions for having a test in a week, maybe too many.
Parent - - By zambrota (**) Date 10-21-2009 03:19
Hogan,

I do not have any problem with weld inspection in real life. So I did not attend any training classes in preparation for CWI exam. But some colleagues have warned me that I might have problems with "inspection of plastic replicas". That is the reason I wish to gather some ideas from AWS Certified Welding Inspectors in order to avoid common pitfalls during practical inspection. As, I know more than half of AWS-CWI-s failed first time (mainly practical Part B of exam). Please help me with your input on this question: "how would you measure the total length of flaws on 1" weld length at random location on sample?"

Thanks for your time

Regards
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 10-21-2009 05:17
Zambrota,
I did not attend training classes either, I had no problem passing part B (I got 86% on that part). I only had experiance Inspecting my own welds after a weld, and as A Fitter, I only welded a When a part was going to cover a weld, a few feet a year at most!
If you have no problem inspecting welds in real life, you shouldn't have problems on the exam, Considering you Inspect welds correctly in real life!
Parent - - By Nandesh Kumar (*) Date 10-21-2009 06:44
Hogan,

" How would you measure the total length of flaws in 1" weld length at random location on sample? "

Mostly, this question appears for a T fillet weld , which has drilled  porosities  which are clustered at 2 or 3 locations for the entire weld lengh. Under such case, exam question itself says the diameter of each porosity ( dont measure & bother about the dia of each porosity , as visually it seems bit bigger or smaller than actually they appear AND if you are measuring those it's a waste of time ! ) and now you have to COUNT the number of porosity in that particular section ( asked ) multiplied by diameter GIVEN in question. That gives you the info that as per the code (supplied ) that section is acceptable or not.

good luck,

N Kumar
Parent - By zambrota (**) Date 10-21-2009 09:10
Thank you Nandesh,

I appreciate your suggestion. What would be your advice regarding bend test samples. How would you inspect for corner cracks?
Thanks and regards
Parent - - By hogan (****) Date 10-21-2009 06:45
What you have been warned about is commen. But if as you say you have no problem with weld inspection, this is a non isssue. As for the question you have posted, please refer to the exact wording presented in the question. Sorry but it is a test!
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-21-2009 12:21
I think one person might have mentioned it but in case they didn't, I'll take stab at it...

The most important aspect that you need to remember especially if you already inspect welds, is the FACT that you will be inspecting the samples to a "code" that is NOT one that is actually used in real practice!!! In other words, it is NOT a REAL CODE!!! Once you focus on that, and work the book of specifications that is in front of you, and not to whatever code or standard that's still in the back of your head which more than likely be the last one you were working to, then you will do well...

Along with all of the other suggestions given to you by the other contributors in this thread, remember to relax and take your time because if you are as experienced as you say, you will have more than enough time to complete Part B. In fact, you should have started familiarizing yourself with the most current version of the book of specifications used in Part B for some time now and if you haven't done so, then go over to the certification section of the AWS website or better yet, here's the link to the .pdf file:

http://files.aws.org/certification/CWI/Book_of_Specs.pdf

Download it and study it well... All of the rest will fall into place provided that you focus on the Book of specifications in front of you... Finally, the reason why so many of those folks you mentioned failed part B is really because they were not focused on working the samples according to the Book of specifications they were supposed to be working to and instead, were thinking along the lines of the last real code that they were previously working to which would be obvious if one was to more closely examine the answers based on how they came to certain conclusions on how they interpreted the acceptance criteria from what was actually rquired of them from the book of specification they were supposed to be working from!!! Basically, a very simple error in judgment that cost them that part of the exam - PLAIN and SIMPLE!!!

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By zambrota (**) Date 10-21-2009 23:49
Thanks Henry,

Do you get any questions in practical exam (Part B) that are not related to book of specification. I mean any theory etc.? What would you recommend as additional reading if any?

Regards
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-22-2009 01:55
Stick to the book of specifications, and review the Visual Inspection Workshop reference manual... Review modules four and five which are applicable as well if you have access to it. Keep in mind that I don't know what type of questions part B consist of these days so, reviewing the entire manual will also be helpful as well and reviewing the applicable modules in the certification manual will be helpful as well. All the best to you!!! ;) ;) ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By Nandesh Kumar (*) Date 10-22-2009 08:45
Hi Zambrota,

regarding corner cracks , just measure it and evaluate it as per the code supplied. for this only three options exist.
!  Accept
2  Reject
3. Replace the test specimen

Dont worry, there wont be any ' out of syllabus ' questions.

All the best.

Nandesh
Parent - - By dbric36 (*) Date 10-22-2009 14:53
1) How you mark plastic replicas for inspection (for example: what's the fillet weld size or undercut at distance 3½" from the left side of sample "B"). Are you allowed to scribe on test piece?
Use your pencil

2) Do you consider scratches on replicas as discontinuites?
No

3) Do you measure defects and porosity size by machinist rule only?
Up to you

4) What's the definition of corner crack on bending test sample (is it a crack length on convex surface or corner side of sample or on both of them?)
Answered below

5) If it's fillet weld size between 3/4" and 7/8" gauges how do you determine the actual size (guess or take the closest downsize measurement?)
Follow the spec there are allowable undersize amounts in the spec.

6) Any trick how to save time during measurement?
Usually you first answer is the correct answer, don't over think it.
Parent - - By zambrota (**) Date 10-22-2009 21:47
Thank you very much,

Apart from spec, do you remember if there are theory questions in Practical Part B CWI exam? What about?

Regards
Parent - - By waccobird (****) Date 10-22-2009 23:52
the formula you use are in the code book they give for the tesr that Henry I believe mentioned
Parent - - By zambrota (**) Date 10-23-2009 02:17
Thanks

I've noticed it. What inspection tools you get for CWI-exam. Are you allowed to use mini-torch, set of calipers, markers?

Regards
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-23-2009 03:01
Why would you want to use a mini torch? And the markers? Just curious. ;) You can use calipers.

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By zambrota (**) Date 10-23-2009 04:57
One CWI inspector mentioned in his comment that bend cracks can be hardly noticed without a "flashlight". So I'd like to know what tools I can and what I can't use for inspection. In other words what tools I get from AWS and what measuring devices I can bring with me?

Thanks
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 10-23-2009 10:00 Edited 10-23-2009 11:05
They will furnish all  except a calculator. and the answers. When I took the test at aws in Miami they gave us all a small flashlight with their logo
Actually they supply the answers you have to choose the right one.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-23-2009 03:16
Mini-torch???? :-)

Is this a slang term for a small flashlight??

jrw159
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 10-23-2009 06:07 Edited 10-23-2009 15:42
Part B is Part B!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The test will give you the (bogus) Code, the tools, the instructions.

You can either read, interpret and follow the instructions, pass the test or NOT!!

Most folks probably flunk the CWI exam on part B.. I know ... several friends of mine are crying in their beer cuz they blew part B....some of them multiple times....

It's like anything worthwhile.......
If it were easy, my Grandmother would have already crochetted one and have it hangin on the FRIDGE!!!!!!!!!!!!........(DO YOU WANT EVERYONE to be an AWS/CWI  INSPECTOR ???????)

Take the test ... pass....ya flunk... pay the money.....take it again....
Oh...I get it...you're not paying for it and you'll get canned if you flunk...RIGHT????

Ok,.....DUDE!!!!!! Relax will YA!!

Don't over think or over guess yourself....First answer (this is a MULTIPLE GUESS test right???) is 99.999% right most of the time...it's like playing 21 in Vegas..use the odds to your benefit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hate to be so harsh (NAAH I LOVE IT!!!!!)... but CRIMENY!! some people put too much emphasis on the Test and TOO LITTLE INTO PREPARATION!!!!
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 10-23-2009 06:16 Edited 10-23-2009 15:44
"is 99.999% right most of the time"??????????????/

BTW ....
my bartender musta bumped her elbow tonite....

I apologise
Parent - - By R McLead (**) Date 10-23-2009 15:06
I took the CWI test last year and my suggestion for part B is to read the entire question is it asking you to actually measure the discontinuity or is it giving you the size of each it wants you to use to make your calculation in the question. Be sure you know how to use the heat input formula and metric conversion formula Etc., there were questions and photos regarding NDT test methods so get familiar with Magnetic Particle, Penetrant, Ultrasonic and X-Ray testing. The part B book of specifications is the only code you can consider during the test.

Rey
Parent - By hvymax (**) Date 10-23-2009 19:13
  I agree with Rey you need to cerefully evaluate each question/answer. Many questions have one tiny detail that changes everything and most answers fit exept for one tiny detail. For the part B all you have to do is focus on the code in front of you. You will be supplied with a small flashlight, fillet/v wac/gal guage,6"rule,dial caliper, magnifying glass and a few other things that I forgot. You really want to practice those conversions and formulas [plug in the right #s into the formulas] and familiarise with what various discontinuities look like with with the various NDT methods.The AWS certification manual for welding inspectors is invaluable for self prep for the test as it covers all aspects[except codes] and has practice questions. Most of the people I tested with died on the code book cross referencing text, tables, appendices,and footnotes[never forget the footnotes]within the time alloted IS overwhelming developing an organization system that works FOR YOU is imperative.
                                                                                    Good Luck John
Parent - - By zambrota (**) Date 10-23-2009 22:07
Thank you Rey and John,

Do you get any question from theory like mechanical properties, welding consumables, welding processes and similar?. Where I can find photos of flaws discovered by various NDT methods? There is not much in CWI Certification Manual.

Regards
Parent - By Nandesh Kumar (*) Date 10-24-2009 05:05
www.ndt-ed.org
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-24-2009 23:54
Here's what you need to prepare yourself for and this comes straight from the AWS CWI body of Knowledge found in this .pdf:

http://files.aws.org/certification/CWI/CWI_Exam_only_pkg.pdf

Part B Practical:
Subject                                                      Percentage

1.) Procedure and Welder Qualifications               30%          

2.) Mechanical Test and Properties                     10%

3.) Welding Inspection and Flaws                        36%

4.) NDE                                                          10%

5.) Utilization of Specification and Drawings          10%

Note: The balance of questions could be on any topic equaling 4%.

Respectfully,
Henry
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / AWS CWI exam Part B Practical