Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Ok, need some help w/ next step....
- - By anglepoint Date 04-25-2002 06:33
I have set myself up with truck, welder, torches, grinders, chopsaws, etc, etc. Have gone to the classes at the college. Have worked with incredible mentor who has taught me so much more than the classes. Have passed several D1.1 cert tests. I wish to work as a mobile field welder, but don't know the next step. This is one hard business to get into. I live in Southern California area, so I know there is lots of work around. Maybe some ideas of how the long time guys got started. Any help, thx.

Scott
Parent - By Michael Sherman (***) Date 04-25-2002 10:40
Scott, your question brings back alot of memories of when I started my business. I started out by dropping off business cards to every single business I drove past. I never turned down any work. I have welded stainless steel sinks in truck stops, cast iron farming implements, various parts of semi's and trailers, steel processing plants have had me fabricate/weld for weeks on end on almost every piece of equipment in their factories. Pipe lines in chemical plants, gas lines on new buildings (have done many Wal-Marts), you get the idea. Almost everyone needs a good welder, just some of them don't know it yet. It took years of hard work to get to where I am now, but I can tell you from experience if you work very, very hard there is no reason you cannot be extremely successful in the welding industry. The only thing I can tell you is give everyone a card, don't turn down work and do your absolute very best. Never say "aw it will hold" do it right, or don't do it at all. Your reputation is all you have and I guarentee you your mistakes will have a life of their own. They will come back to haunt you again and again. Good luck.

Mike Sherman
Shermans Welding
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Ok, need some help w/ next step....