Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Standar for inspection of Tanks
- - By DAYANARA (**) Date 10-21-2009 01:03
Dear Friends

Please say me,
Whose's standard prepared for API to cover inspection to horizontal and undergraund Tanks (fabrication and Repairs).
Is possible usually API 650 for Fabrication and API 653 for repairs?

Thank you for you answer.

Dayanara
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 10-21-2009 19:40
No, API 650 and 653 apply to aboveground tanks.
For underground, there are two API RP's:

RP 1615. Installation of underground petroleum storage systems
RP 1650. API recommended practices on underground petroleum storage tanks management.

You can find them at: www.api.org/Publications/upload/12_ST-2
Here in Brazil we have an excellent ABNT (Brazilian Association of Technical Standards) standard regarding horizontal underground tanks for petroleum products storage. It's written in Portuguese, though. If it suits you, I'll tell you how to get a copy of it. 
Giovanni S. Crisi
Sao Paulo - Brazil
Parent - - By DAYANARA (**) Date 10-22-2009 00:42
Dear Mr Crisi

Thank you for fast answer.
I like you standard for horizontal underground tanks.

Dayanara
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 10-22-2009 19:22 Edited 10-22-2009 19:26
NO API 653 deals ONLY with aboveground storage tanks
For horizontal and vertical AST UL 142 is the fabrication standard and Steel Tank Institute SP001 Standard for The Inspection of Aboveground Storage Tanks, 4th Edition Issued July 2006

For UST's fabrication UL 58 Standard for Safety: Steel Underground Tanks for Flammable and Combustible Liquids

API does not have a standard for UST's. They do have API Recommended Practice 1615 Installation of Underground Petroleum Storage Systems and API Standard 2610 Design, Construction, Operation, Maintenance, and Inspection of Terminal & Tank Facilities among others.

Inspection falls under Petroleum Equipment Institute PEI RP900 Recommended Practices for the Inspection and Maintenance of UST Systems
refer: http://www.epa.gov/swerust1/cmplastc/standard.htm
Parent - - By G.S.Crisi (****) Date 10-23-2009 19:53
Dayanara,
the ABNT standard related with underground steel storage tanks for petroleum products is NBR 13.312. It sells for approx. 46 US Dollars, at today rate of exchange, excluding mailing cost, and it can be payed by means of an international credit card.
To order it, access orcamento@abnt.org.br saying that you're interested in buying the standard. They'll give you the necessary instructions.
Attention, though, the standard is written in Portuguese language.
Giovanni S. Crisi
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 10-26-2009 17:02
Prof Crisi,

Not all, you can still apply API 653 : Tank Inspection, Repair, Alteration, and Reconstruction

1.1.3 This standard employs the principles of API Std 650;
however, storage tank owner/operators, based on consideration
of specific construction and operating details, may apply this standard
to any steel tank constructed in accordance with a tank specification.

Imagine a horizontal AST after the earthquake it become UST :)

Regards
Joey
Parent - - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 10-26-2009 19:56
653 applies only to atmospheric aboveground tanks.
Parent - - By Joey (***) Date 10-27-2009 16:23 Edited 10-27-2009 16:26
Sure, the horizoltal tank built as per 650 where in the ground for around 10yrs. However, when time of maintenance work, the owner will get a crane to put the tank above the ground for inspection and repair work. After the tank was inspected and reconditioned as per 653, the tank is to be burried at the same place.

653 is for above ground tank only :) :) and the tank owner/operators have no right to apply 653 to any steel tank constructed in accordance with their own specification? Is that what you mean?
Parent - By dbigkahunna (****) Date 10-27-2009 22:39
I have never seen a horizontal tank built to 650. Now I have seen a 650 tank that was covered with soil but that is another critter. And there were some serious corrosion issues
But if it is a horizontal tank why not use STI SP001?
While 653 1.1.3 states the tank owner can apply this standard to any steel tank constructed in accordance with a tank specification, I will stand by my statement, 653 is for aboveground tanks only. And if the product being held in this tank is a regulated substance the owner/operator better have a good grasp of 40 CFR Part 280 Subpart B 280.20(2)
http://www.epa.gov/swerust1/fedlaws/280_b.pdf
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Standar for inspection of Tanks