Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / R stamps ?
- - By ac Date 10-21-2009 07:01
Im a pipeline welder and befor that i made boilers for supior boilers . i have some freinds that have a heating and plumming company . they run across boilers all the time that need welding work on them . we have only found 2 r stamp welders around here and we found them by asking the state inspector . now i just started to look in to this and one older welder told me that if u get a r stamp u have to have ins tell u have a death certificate . is it worth the truble of have a r stamp and what more can i do with a r stamp were the hell do u get a r stamp ? im not doing bad in the pipeline field but i do wont to open my mind up to markiting my self more .
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 10-21-2009 13:05
First of all, an  NB R Certificate of Authorization is not issued to welders, its issued to companies with Quality Systems that can demonstrate an ability to comply with the requirements of the code. In order to apply contact the National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors.
As for worth it, if you are going to weld on code stamped boilers or PV's you have to have the C of A.
The welders need to be qualified to ASME Section IX.
Parent - By waccobird (****) Date 10-22-2009 18:34
http://www.nationalboard.org/index.aspx?pageID=115&ID=160
National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors
Parent - - By MBSims (****) Date 10-22-2009 22:05
We just had our R-Stamp renewal audit.  The application fee alone was $3500.  In addition, you must have all of the code books for the work you will be performing, which would likely be ASME Sections I, II, V, VIII and IX as a minimum, plus current edition of NBIC.  The Code books will run around $7,000.  Then you need a current agreement with an Authorized Inspection Agency to perform the thrid party inspections.  And you will need to have qualified NDE personnel, so that will usually be an outside testing company for most small contractors.  You could be looking at $12,000 or so just to get started.  I say if that is what you want to do, you can afford the fees and costs and are willing to abide by the rules and regulations, then go for it.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 10-23-2009 14:13
Marty,
Don't forget, as you know, the AI/AIS will be team members and you will pay for their time too.

We just had ours too. The R and S, U, and PP stuff at the same time. 1 month before that was AISC fab and a month before that was AISC Erection. I'm about audited out.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / R stamps ?