Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / The Layoff Finally Happened
- - By OBEWAN (***) Date 10-21-2009 12:13
Well I have seen this coming for two years now and the other shoe finally dropped.

Yesterday I got my layoff notice.  My last day of work will be Nov 27th.  If it is any consolation, they assured me it is strictly due to cashflow problems and not performance and promised me excellent references.  I will get a weeks severance for every years service and a cash bounus of 10% of annual salary.  (Plus govt layoff money).

When I started here I had 85 new weld procedures to qualify.  This entire year I had less than 5!!!!!   I am suprised they kept me on as long as they did.

Now I have a major challenge to sell my new condo and relocate to a new welding engineering job.  The condo has fallen at least 1/2 in value and I don't want to rent it.

One option is to get my CWI and get work with one of the inspection firms in town.
Parent - - By RonG (****) Date 10-21-2009 13:33
Steve, real sorry to hear that, I have seen this happen many times and most of the time it comes just before Christmas go figure. Are you married with kids?

On the brighter side they gave you lots of advanced notice, thats a rareity.
Parent - - By OBEWAN (***) Date 10-21-2009 14:21
No kids.  New car. No debts.  Plenty of money saved. Things could be a lot worse.
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-21-2009 14:40 Edited 10-21-2009 14:47
Sorry to read the the bad news also but, you never know because as the old saying goes: "When one door closes, another one opens up shortly thereafter!" So this could be a good thing and I agree with Ron that giving you such advanced notice kind of gives you a lot more options to look at as you prepare to enter a new chapter in your career.

It may just be the perfect time that you probably have been waiting for in order for you to secure your AWS CWI credential FWIW!!! :) :) :)
Beside, a welding engineer with your experience is certainly more attractive to potential employers and yet, you also need to come to the acceptance that everyone is trying their best to get away with compensating new employees at rates where beginners usually start off with in this economy but, if you can hold out for a position that appreciates your experience as well as knowledge base, then certainly something should come up roses for you in short order my friend! ;) :) :) Keep your head up and enjoy yourself, then get ready for the HUNT!!! ;) ;) ;)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-21-2009 20:28
Thank goodness you have things in pretty good order for such an event.  Sorry it came down to that though.  Best of luck looking for the new job.

I agree with Henry.  Take some time, add some credentials, improve the prospects.  Though, as a couple of others have done, there are some who may hire you with your current experience and knowledge and pay to get you upgraded.  But the CWI wouldn't hurt to get ASAP.  It is always an advantage.

Good Luck,  Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Chit-Chat & Non-Welding Discussion / Off-Topic Bar and Grill / The Layoff Finally Happened