Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 5/32 Rods
1 2 Previous Next  
- - By JLWelding (***) Date 10-23-2009 21:12
I ran some 5/32 Hobart rods today for the first time with my sa200. Didnt like them at all, the arc seemed to wander and when I cleaned slag the slag was full of air holes not the weld but just the slag. Range was set at 190-120 and 50 Then tryed 130-80 and 80 at this setting the arc stopped wandering but way to cold.
Put 1/8 excaliber in and no prob. I have not had this problem before with other machines. Brushes?
Parent - By Tyler1970 (***) Date 10-23-2009 21:35
id say its the rods. low hydrogen rods, id say ESAB all the way.
Parent - - By F-17 (**) Date 10-24-2009 02:31
Your comparing apples and oranges,5/32 to 1/8 inch is big difference.Were you welding flat?Horiz? or vert?If you were welding flat it's no wonder it was funky.I run 120-190 and at about 70-80 flat 5/32(somewhere in the neighborhood of 175-180 amps).When I started welding a feller gave me a really good pointer,leave the min dial at 65,And change gears as the rod size goes up,then dial it in from there.

As far as 7018 goes theres a new sherriff in town and his name is Bohler,runs really smoooooooooth,10 times better than Atom Arc ever thought about being.And your slag is supposed to have the holes in it unless your saying the holes were in the outside of the slag,that definatley doesn't seem right.
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-24-2009 09:20
holes in the outside of the slag on a 7018?? Yeah, weird? I like the excalibur myself, have not tried any bohler. I did use some 5/32 hobarts from a local farm supply store and they sucked big doo-doo, in Hobarts defense though they may have been on the shelf since the store opened though and I have no oven. Used some regular lincolns at school one night that they mistakingly ordered in and they sucked too compared to the excalibur, they were fresh out of a 50lb can. Been running excalibur for almost two years now and of the 7018's that's my pick, but prefer a good 5p+ any day. 
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-24-2009 15:46
Lesson one, learn how to weld.

Learning to set the machine for the proper amperage based on the diameter and type of electrode used is an essential part of learning to weld.

Too little amperage is going to make welding difficult to say the least.

Al
Parent - - By JLWelding (***) Date 10-24-2009 18:17
Lesson two AL
If you read the post you will see the problem was with arc wandering I dont give a sh!t weather I was to cold or hot, I was taking it from one extream to another. And yes it has holes thru the slag and it was in the flat.
On top of that I can still out weld any of you school boys any day, bring it on lesson boy.
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-24-2009 18:35
"You can always tell a welder, but you can't tell him much."
Parent - - By JLWelding (***) Date 10-24-2009 18:44
You got a dog in this fight, If not keep to your self
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-24-2009 18:58 Edited 10-24-2009 19:01
After this comment your damn right I have a dog in this fight! "On top of that I can still out weld any of you school boys any day, bring it on lesson boy."

I would like to see this happen only speaking for myself of course. Thing is you would most likely get two lessons for the price of one. One in welding and the next in manners.

First, as mentioned you compared apples to oranges. How does that work? Next you received a more direct answer. You did not like what you heard so went on the attack. I just found it ironic and hence my quote from the sig line. I feel it is a very fitting comment.

This is an open forum.

My next quoute would be from "Red Foreman" but it is not appropriate for the open forum. Try comparing an apple to an apple (insert quote from Red here).

BTW were these rods stored properly?? Oh wait that does not matter does it.

Have a nice weekend,
jrw159 :-)
Parent - - By JLWelding (***) Date 10-24-2009 19:07
Yea they where stored in my rod oven. keep it up
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-24-2009 19:21
No I think your right, it must be the brushes. :-)

jrw159
Attachment: laugh.mp3 (0B)
Parent - - By JLWelding (***) Date 10-24-2009 19:01
Thanks for replys sorry I got a little hot .I understand his post now. When your head is swoll up you tend to think your God. Inspectors
Parent - - By JLWelding (***) Date 10-24-2009 19:04
Tell you what lets take it off the board and see what you think of old school. boy
Parent - - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-24-2009 19:10
Go ahead and PM me if you can not handle the open forum. "boy"??? LMFAO

Parent - - By ronnie taylor (**) Date 10-24-2009 19:13
uuuuhh....... i just made popcorn!!!!!
Parent - By 3.2 Inspector (***) Date 10-24-2009 19:15
I will eat snickers.

Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-24-2009 19:23
LMAO!!!
Parent - - By downhandonly (***) Date 10-25-2009 00:58
this is good.lol
Parent - By ronnie taylor (**) Date 10-25-2009 01:04
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Parent - By JLWelding (***) Date 10-24-2009 19:20
Look croch rocket. The post says arc wandering with 5/32, and still dont give a crap wheather it is hot or cold. or if you went to the gro. store to buy apples or not, what made arc wander.But no you wont to go off on a justify your self trip out of left feild and  dont know what the he!! your even saying go back and read your post.
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-24-2009 19:18
"As for welding circles around me; its funny that it wasn’t me that had to ask the question."

My thought exactly!!!

BTW let me know how that works out for ya there sonny. Good luck.

Attachment: laugh.mp3 (0B)
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-24-2009 19:13 Edited 10-24-2009 19:28
Funny, I just came back to my post because I didn't want it to sound condescending.

I was right to be concerned. Not my intent.

From your description of the problem and the parameters you listed for the low hydrogen electrode, I would have put my money on you using the wrong amperage, i.e., most likely too low and possibly too long an arc length. Then again it could have been that you kept the electrodes in your back pocket and they got damp (see another thread on that subject). Arc wander; not from the description you provided. Sounds like you were trying to weld over some old concrete left on the surface of your practice plate.

As for welding circles around me; it’s funny that it wasn’t me that had to ask the question.

I'll stack the welding certs I've held over the years and my 45 years experience as a welder against yours any day cowboy.

I hope everyone sees there is some humor in all this. I'm laughing so hard my wife just came in to see what was so funny!

I'd love to follow this a while longer, but I have to put on my ghost costume for my grand children’s' Halloween party. Maybe I should switch and go as a welder.

I wish I had packed a lunch for this one and I could stay here and really have some laughs! I usually have to pay to be entertained, but here its free! I really do have to go! I think I wet my pants from laughing so hard.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By ronnie taylor (**) Date 10-24-2009 19:23
LMAO!!!!!
Parent - - By Iron Head 49 (***) Date 10-24-2009 19:25
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-24-2009 19:36
Ironhead where did you ever find that!

Al
Parent - By Iron Head 49 (***) Date 10-24-2009 23:08
Hi Al! Go to any truck forum, click on the post tab on any thread. Right click any icon you like, “save as” (you know the drill). Use any photo hoisting website you like. Then embed the link to your post. 
Parent - By strother (***) Date 10-24-2009 21:50
thats funny!!
Parent - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-24-2009 22:19
That's is a perfect avatar for this thread!!! :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By JLWelding (***) Date 10-24-2009 19:26 Edited 10-24-2009 19:30
With due respect Al where you came off with learn to weld when someone asking a question is just like you said conceded
Maybe steel had something on it.  Dont do it with 1/8
By the way cert. for 20 years owned my own buss. for 9
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-24-2009 19:35
JL, it wasn't that I had intended to be condecending, I was in a hurry and was cutting it short. That's why I came back to it.

However, your responses simply provoke me to have some fun with you. Please understand my comments are in the spirit of good humor (at your expense of course), but I don't intend for it to be mean spirited. Its like poking the roaring lion with a long stick, the more the lion roars, the stronger the urge to poke it again.

I hope you can see some of the humor of some of the responses you've received. It is all in good fun. If you are a welder and you've ever been on a job site with a bunch of other welders, you've been subject to much worse ribbing than you have here.

I can't help myself, I can hardly see through my tears of laughter!

Best regards - Al

(Really, I have to go to a party.)

Parent - - By JLWelding (***) Date 10-24-2009 19:40
Al I can have fun with just about anything, and yes it was getting pretty funny. You have a good time and be safe now.
Parent - By ronnie taylor (**) Date 10-24-2009 19:49
You guy are great!!! Take care be safe and don't let your arc wander!
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-24-2009 22:10 Edited 10-24-2009 22:13
Well then, put your money where your mouth is and sign up for the professional welder competition this year at the AWS Welding expo in Chicago, Ill!!!

When you win that competition, then you can bark as loud as you want on being the top dog amongst us welders, and then I'll challenge you to a mirror welding contest just to bring your ego back to earth because that is where it belongs JL!!! I may be disabled, beat up, in bad shape physically but, I don't mind a good challenge from someone running their mouth over someone trying to give some solid advice in your direction!!! This is not a forum like the other one's you may have frequented before JL!!! This one you show respect in order to receive it back - CAPECHE??? You don't, chances are you become just another blip on my target list, and you can ask anyone that being on that list isn't fun!!! ;) ;) ;)

BTW, I practice with my mirror every chance I can and I'm ready for you so, get your butt over to McCormick Place this November for the contest so you can see that there are plenty of folks who will be there besides myself eager and willing to give you a lesson you certainly deserve!!! SEE YOU THERE JL!!! :) :) :)

Henry
Parent - - By JLWelding (***) Date 10-24-2009 22:28 Edited 10-24-2009 22:37
Hi Henry
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-24-2009 22:38
Now that I've read some of the other posts where you did indeed apologize for your overreaction towards my friend Al, I'll bring it down a notch or two but, the invitation to Chicago still stands!!! :) :) :) Hope you take me up on the invite!!! ;) ;) ;) Of course, you know that you've got to pay your own way there - CAPECHE??? ;) ;) ;)

Henry
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 10-24-2009 22:44
I'll be in McCormac Place in November!

The Pro competition is pretty interesting alright.

They have been dominated by Wisconsin men.. Mostly from Manatowic Crane.

Don't think I could hold a candle to those men!

I've been in the plant and watched the production welds being put in... Every bit as sweet as the show welds.
Parent - - By pipehead (***) Date 10-25-2009 01:27
Just my two cents worth for JL  if your such an expert why did you ask the question?

As for another response had you ro been exposed to any oil, grease, or diesel even stored in the same area?

because I have had that same problem with lowhy that had been stored is the same tool box as some oil.It cause arc wandering and large hole in the slag. (even though you were to cold) I have had that at the right amps.

Again just my two cents from another dumb welder
Parent - - By JLWelding (***) Date 10-25-2009 01:57
Thats right Pipe get your jab in but first look at your self, your post states you did it also. Maybe I was careless and maybe you are all perfect,  please excuse me for imposing on your perfect web site. F OFF
Parent - By pipehead (***) Date 10-25-2009 02:20
Look A$$ all I said was if you have the answers why ask! 

Then I asked you if that might have been your cause......but I can see you still have your attitude glasses on!

Even though I understand sometimes the answers,questions and responses in this forum are misconstrued (excuse the spelling) and not what your looking for.

There is no reason to become an A$$.
Parent - By strother (***) Date 10-25-2009 02:46
Don't pay it any attention, I've ran three 50 lb cans of Hobart 7018 5/32 recently. They went straight from the sealed can to the rod oven. I'm no stranger 5/32 and I got some of the same results you were talking about . I tried the amps from 150 to 210 , finally settled on 190 still ran like crap. I went back to Lincoln excaliber. You were asking a legitimate question.
Parent - By JHarlos (**) Date 10-25-2009 06:10
all crap aside, buddy all you have to do is run hotter. Just change to 240 range and leave the box where its all. If thats not hot enough then get ten more and ten more so on .
Parent - - By NMWELDING (**) Date 10-25-2009 17:55
Actually I`ve used Hobart 418 rods for a couple of years now and like them just as much as the LH-78 rods from Lincoln that I used to use. Main reason I switched, I was able to get the Hobart rods for about 30% less. The Hobart rods from Tractor Supply are not that great,especially the ones made in Tiawan.Some now are made in the USA. I only use the Hobart rods made in the USA and order them through my LWS. The 418 rods are a 7018 rod. I also have some excalibur in 1/8 I need to run,I hear a lot of good about them. As far as how bad a rod runs sometimes it must just be a bad can. I ran a 50 lb can of 5/32 excalibur once and wasn`t impressed, but I will try them again,as I said I hear a lot of good about them. I do a lot of high pressure work in the oilfield and my visual inspection has always been good with the Hobart 418 rod. Thanks.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 10-26-2009 02:04 Edited 10-26-2009 02:06
HERE IS A GREAT IDEA. I have been running 5/32 Atom Arcs for two days, Over head. Amps at 155.(Digital Readout)  No Problem ! Solution = Vantage. Get One !!!! I recommend the 500 Compact. Also ran a couple of boxes of 7/32 Jets. No problems there either. Vantage 500 Compact. Available at your local Lincoln Dealer. Available while supply last. Sorry, No Rain Checks
Parent - By jrw159 (*****) Date 10-26-2009 02:41
I know a guy that was working at mickeyd's and ran a 5/32 rod on a Vantage and BAM he was a welding inspector. Damndest thing I ever did see. Easy as pie. :-)

jrw159
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 10-26-2009 04:13
AND They're Selling them like hotcakes!!!! I know because the line where they put them together in Cleveland was extremely busy when I went to visit the factory @ the end of September!!!!!!! :) :) :) :) :)

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - - By pipehead (***) Date 10-26-2009 04:51
I know two guys that have had and welded a bunch with'em and hated them both went bad to 300d's
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-26-2009 14:03 Edited 10-26-2009 14:14
Hello Fellas;

Back again. I was laid low yesterday with a touch of the old flu bug that's going around the neighborhood. I slept all day yesterday and ache like the devil today, but I couldn't stay in the bed any longer.

The brand of electrode does make a difference. At least to me it does. I can't argue with most of the comments made regarding that issue. I had terrible experiences with Hobart 718, but I loved their 418 low hydrogen electrode. The 718 resulted in too much convexity regardless of the amperage and I do like to run hot. The 418 produced a flatter bead and produced a smooth arc regardless of the position of the work.

I have had good results with Atom Arc and Excalibur. I run a lot of Excalibur when repairing some of the heavy steel castings and plate from which large presses are made due to the higher manganese content to counter any sulfur in the casting. So far, knock on wood, the results have been excellent.

My experience has been that pipe welders run cold compared to structural welders. It makes sense when you look at the work each is doing. In general, pipe welders are welding what most structural welders consider to be thin material, i.e., schedule 40 or even schedule 80 is relatively thin compared to 3/4 or 1 inch or thicker plate or structural sections. The problems associated with running low amperage rears its ugly head every time I test a pipe welder for structural steel. The flip side of the coin is that structural welders weld with higher amperage and struggle when they attempt to pass an open root pipe test. It is a matter of different techniques used by each industrial segment.

Well, keep your rods dry and keep the arc burning! Oh yea, check the polarity while you're at it.

Oops, I almost forgot, with regards to which welding machine is better, check the slope characteristics of the machine you are using. Some welder prefer a machine with steep slope because the current doesn't change drastically with a small change in arc length, while other welders (mostly pipe welders) prefer a machine with a shallower or flatter slope because it gives the welder more amperage variation as they vary the arc length. The internal inductance of the machine is going to determine how fast the machine reacts to variations in the arc length, thereby possibly producing too much arc instability if there is too little inductance. It’s all a balancing act and the nature of the work often dictates the particulars of the power supply.

And thanks for the vote of support! However, I did make my initial response unintentionally terse. JL's response wasn't completely unwarranted and it did make for an interesting thread. I still laugh as I read through them!  I can use a good laugh today. Like a "Wuss", I cancelled the work I had lined up today to keep my little germs all to myself. 

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 10-26-2009 14:51
SO.......What you are really saying is the Old but VERY true verse of " It all happens between the Shoulder and the Holder"
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-26-2009 15:02
At least a good portion of it!

al
Parent - - By DaveBoyer (*****) Date 10-27-2009 02:24
"Well, keep your rods dry and keep the arc burning! Oh yea, check the polarity while you're at it."
That sounds like something Red Green would say
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / 5/32 Rods
1 2 Previous Next